Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Shop Electrical Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Shop Electrical Systems

Hi All, I will be remodeling my home shop (20 x 24 feet) this summer and as part of that I will be replacing an ancient electrical system. An electrician I'm not, but I think know what I need. My biggest draw will be my 220 volt compressor and a 220 volt curing oven for composites that was built with the components from a home electric range. Apart from that, I don't know what I don't know. I've read books and articles on shop electrical systems but I'm curious what tips and tricks others have found useful when upgrading the aircraft building home shop. Particularly the "if I had it to do over again" comments. I'm also curious about lighting options. Right now I'm leaning towards florescent lighting plugged into switchable outlets (got that idea from a retired electrician). Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Gerry
    Patrol #30 Wings

You can never have too many lights or too many outlets.
    Put in a sub-panel for your shop, so you can add additional circuits and reset breakers easily.
    Any circuits with potential for moisture in the area need GFCI breakers or outlets.
    Follow appropriate electrical codes.
    At minimum, find a buddy who knows electricity well and is willing to help or at least inspect.

Good luck!

Comment

+1 on never to many lights and outlets. White ceiling and walls makes it seem even brighter and less shadows. Heat and insulation, more fun to work when your comfortable. Here in the NW a dehumidifier is also good.

Doug

PS Surface mount your subpanel so you can add to it latter.
      Last edited by DRLPatrol; 03-31-2016, 11:21 PM.
      Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

This month's KitPlanes has a good article on shop lighting from an expert in the field. Check it out. Mark

Comment

I also like to make all the outlets duplex outlets. I made all of mine on 20A breakers but it is a lot easier to work with 14 gauge wire on 15A circuits. In my last shop one thing I did that I really liked was to put outlets in the ceiling with eye hooks next to them. I made some cords that clipped to ten eye hooks and hung down to about chest level. I would then hook my extension cords to them. That way I never needed long e tension cords strung across the shop. I also plumbed my shop air with PEX tubing to have air all over the shop without having to have long air hoses also
          John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Oh John, I was hoping no one would start the air line system debate. It could go on for pages. BTW I use PVC . I to like everything over head. I have air hanging down in 3 places along my long table to about eye level and retractable electric reels from Harbor Freight at each end.

Doug

Comment

I recently updated the lighting in the back section of my garage. This area is similar to your shop size. I chose a four foot four tube florescent fixture, which is what the fellows are putting in there hangers. The housing of the fixture is painted white but behind the tubes is a polished reflective area. The tubes for this fixture are a T5 which is the diameter of the tube. I thought all florescent tubes were about the same brightness or candle power but they are not. I believe the choices were 4500, 6500, or the one that may be too bright, the 8500. I chose the brightest the 8500 and it is excellent. This is not a standard fixture that you would find a home depot probably because it is expensive. I bought it from an electrical supplier and it cost about $175 up here in Canada.
              Patrol (modified)

Comment

I'm intrigued by the available LED solutions. In addition to enough electrical capacity, I think that's going to be a big thing for me.
                Christopher Owens
                Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
                Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
                Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I have been watching the advancement of LED also but haven't seen ones that are as bright as I like that are affordable. I used T-8's in my shop. The 4' LEDs were no where near as bright.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by DRLPatrol View Post
                    I have been watching the advancement of LED also but haven't seen ones that are as bright as I like that are affordable. I used T-8's in my shop. The 4' LEDs were no where near as bright.

Doug
                    I thing I would also go for the 8' tubes. In my hanger I actually went for LED and I love them but the power company paid 1/2 the cost. I had big 400W metal halide lights (11 actually) and I replaced 4 of them with 400W equilivant LED lights that fit in the existing fixtures. They we about $300 a bulb. I love them. The color is good and they cover 2500sf with pretty good light. When I need more light I turn on the other 6 metal halide bulbs and I can get a suntan. The LEDs worked well for me but f I was putting light in my shop I would go with the fluorescent for now.
                    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Originally posted by N3UW View Post
                      ..... and I can get a suntan......
                      So your wife can make a little extra cash running a tanning salon when you are away.
                      BTW are you settled yet from the move and the shop up and running?

Doug

Comment

Working...
                      X