Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Source for Seat Foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Seat Foam

I've been researching for some time to find a good source for "temper-foam" (or "comfort foam" - the memory-foam type product) that wouldn't break the bank. I just placed my order with Dynamic Systems, Inc. for enough foam to fabricate cushions for both front and rear seats of my Patrol. Their list prices for memory-foam sheets are significantly lower than I've found anywhere else.

But the real kicker is that they also have an "overstock" list with seconds and surplus foams. These are either simple overstocks or (in some cases) foam that has a surface flaw such as color variation. The "Overstock" items are normally offered at a 25% discount, but occasionally they have to clear out inventory. Today was one of those days, and they were offering a 50% discount on all "overstock" items!

I got all the memory foam I need for my Patrol seats for less than $150! I was quoted $450 for basically the same stuff from a couple of the "well-known" foam suppliers who frequent OSH and advertise in various aviation magazines. Even without the "super-sale", my order would have come to only $225, which is HALF what the "other guys" were quoting...

For the seat bottom cushions, I ordered three sheets of 32" x 37" x 1" foam, in three densities (Firm, Medium-Firm, and Medium-Soft). Those will be glued up (3-M spray adhesive) into a 3-ply cushion (Firm on the bottom, Medium-Firm in the middle, and Medium-Soft as the top layer). I'll cut the sheets to make one 16"x18" pilot seat cushion and one 20"x27" passenger seat cushion, with lots of "cut-off" to make bolsters and lumbar support... That 3-layer cushion should be very comfortable for a wide range of pilot/passenger weights (175 to 350 lbs), without that "sitting on a board" feeling you get in some airplanes...

For the seat backs, they originally recommended 1.5" Soft foam, because it's very comfortable and the seat backs don't have to accomodate much weight. I could have ordered a single sheet of the 1.5" foam, but instead ordered two sheets of 0.75" foam (32" x 37") out of their "overstock" supply to save a bit of money. Those will be glued together (just like the seat bottoms) and cut to make the 16"x20" pilot seat back and the 19"x27" passenger seat back I will add a lumbar support and bolstering that will be made from leftover pieces foam "cut-offs". I'll experiment to see which feels best, but I'll have plenty of options (Firm, Med-Firm, Med-Soft, and Soft).

Dynamic Systems sells the foam in 16"x16", 16"x18", 16"x37", 32"x37", and 37"x82" sheets, in thicknesses of 0.25", 0.5", 0.75", 1", 1.5", 2", 3", and 4". They offer eight densities, ranging from X-Soft to Hard. (By the way, the "other" guys basically sell three or four densities.) If you talk to Ellie Brown (customer service - toll free # is 855-786-6283), she can help make recommendations to you on how to leverage what they have in overstock to accomodate your needs. If you want to see / feel it for yourself before placing an order, she will send you a "sample kit" with small pieces of everything they make.

One more note: They offer a product called FRG, that includes a non-halogenated fire retardant that can meet the stringent fire tests of FAR 25.853(a). List price for the FRG is the same as for the regular SunMate product. The issue is that they don't make as much of it, so they rarely have it in overstock, so you'll probably pay a bit more for your order than I did. When I was talking to Ellie, there were only 3 pieces of FRG in their overstock supply, and it wasn't the size / density that I needed. I opted to use the regular SunMate foam, which is already fairly fire-resistant (it passes the TB 117 fire -safety standards), and burns with low toxicity, anyway. If you really want to meet the FAR 25.853(a) standards, the FRG foam would be the way to go. It looks / feels identical to SunMate except for the neutral gray color (it cannot be dyed because of the fire retardant), it just comes at a slightly more expensive price because it's not available in "overstock".

Hope this helps!

PS - I have no relationship with them other than as a customer. Just happy to find a source that doesn't break the bank!
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Good info... Thanks Jim!
    Wayne Massey - Central Florida
    BH733
    LSA23
    http://www.mykitlog.com/wlmassey

Comment

Thanks Jim, great info! And I am in the market as I have my fabric narrowed down to a couple selections!

Comment

FYI - Hi-Tech foams has essentially the same price as the above "normal" price. Foam (3 densities for seats) + back for two seats was $225. I've purchased twice from them for my Bearhawk and for my RV4. Great folks and another alternative. The prices in the attached brochure are foam to cover front and rear seats (4 total).

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

I didn't want to call them out by name, but their written quote to me was $450 for the two Patrol seats. And that was Oshkosh pricing...

The cushions in the diagrams in your quote would not cover my factory Patrol seats - neither the front nor the rear.

Ironically, I told them up front that I had a quote for less than half of their quote, and so they went back to give their "best pricing option" for me. It sounded like they were going to cut me a great deal, then I got the quote... Nice folks, and I'm sure their foam is every bit as good as Dynamic Systems' foam, but price was my concern, and DS beat them by a country mile.
          Last edited by JimParker256; 09-19-2016, 09:51 PM.
          Jim Parker
          Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
          RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Working...
          X