Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk Gascolator Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk Gascolator Question

Looking over my installed Bearhawk Gascolator left me with a question. I don't see any obvious way to secure the 'bowl bolt'. Am I missing something here, or is it the intent to just tighten the bolt and leave it at that? What have others done?

Bill

I didn't configure the one I made for Safety Wire.

My thoughts:

Unlike most gascolators, the Bearhawk one doesn't depend on the tightness of the bolt compressing a gasket for a seal. It is all O-ring based so there really isn't any pressure trying to loosen the bolt and the o ring also provides "Turning resistance" so I doubt it will move on its own.

Comment

I'm glad I asked. I hadn't thought of the design, in terms of the O-rings not depending on the torque of a bolt, to maintain integrity. I might have to think about the O-rings providing enough turning resistance. The concept makes perfect sense, it's just a 'comfort level' thing.

Bill

Comment

The instructions that are sent out with the gascolator mention the option of drilling a hole for safety wire in the corner of the head of the "union bolt". Mark

Comment

"Instructions"! Hadn't thought to look for instructions. I'll look into that tomorrow. Thanks Mark!

Bill

Comment

Here you go Bill. MG
            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks again Mark!

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X