Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

School me: Cable Termination Hardware and install Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
    These posts help a great deal answering questions I have asked, and those I did not even know I should have. My understanding is....

-The purpose of Masking Tape is to prevent the tag end of the wire rope from unraveling while its being cut. I think the tape is never removed, and the Shrink Tube is installed and shrunk over it.
    -Steve, you install your eye splice, press it, and cut it in position, and have no need to precisely measure each cable run that way.
    -Zane, you surely must remove your cable before you whack it with a maul, but your instructions leave me with doubts.

So, the standard practice seems to avoid precise measurement of cable run lengths.
    - The masking tape is removed after cutting. It just prevents unraveling and splaying during the cut.
    - Shear cuts are done free of the airframe. The measuring portion is done in the airframe, marked, then removed. With the now assembled cable, you should be able to thread it through fairleads without the bushings installed, and belly pulley banks without the pulleys installed. Kind of a pain in the butt, but working on your bench is just so much easier. Plus I made my cables, then stored them to avoid having loose cables hanging off the airframe while doing other work.
    Last edited by Zzz; 01-23-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      That helps me understand Zzz. Thanks so much.
Working...
X