Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a vector file of the [4-place] firewall pattern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have a vector file of the [4-place] firewall pattern?

Was going to do some layout work in Illustrator. Hoping to save the step where I have to digitize the shape myself.

Thanks.

There are 2 profiles that you will want drawings for; the fire wall and the cowl at the door post.

I made the my drawings by scanning the 2 profiles from Bob's drawings. I then inserted those images into AutoCAD and plotted the profiles. The next step is to scale the profiles to full size.

I used those profiles to make forming blocks for the fire wall, instrument panel and the formers on the side of the door post for the boot cowl. Also handy is a large French curve drafting template when you layout the profiles on the forming blocks..

Comment

Originally posted by S Lathrop View Post
      There are 2 profiles that you will want drawings for; the fire wall and the cowl at the door post.

I made the my drawings by scanning the 2 profiles from Bob's drawings. I then inserted those images into AutoCAD and plotted the profiles. The next step is to scale the profiles to full size.

I used those profiles to make forming blocks for the fire wall, instrument panel and the formers on the side of the door post for the boot cowl. Also handy is a large French curve drafting template when you layout the profiles on the forming blocks..
      I already have a firewall on my quickbuild, was just hoping to use a digital file as a shortcut to do some layout of various firewall-hung components.

I skimmed through my plans but don't see the firewall pattern anywhere. Which drawing is it?

Comment

I took S Lathrop's drawing and made it into an Illustrator-editable PDF for anyone looking to do the same as me.

Attached Files

Comment

Another tip to consider is in the old Tony B. books. He talked about using a piece of clear acrylic to make a mock-up firewall, so that you could keep yourself from mounting something where there wasn't space behind for nutplates, etc. You could also make changes based on how it all went, before drilling holes in the real parts.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredyates View Post
            Another tip to consider is in the old Tony B. books. He talked about using a piece of clear acrylic to make a mock-up firewall, so that you could keep yourself from mounting something where there wasn't space behind for nutplates, etc. You could also make changes based on how it all went, before drilling holes in the real parts.
            Yeah, good idea, even though I hate drilling acrylic.

Comment

• jaredyates
              jaredyates commented
              Editing a comment
              You'll love stainless!

• Zzz
              Zzz commented
              Editing a comment
              What I'm saying is, perhaps polycarbonate is a better choice. Stainless is indeed a nasty lady.

I made my mock up firewall out of leftover aluminum sheet from the wing.

I made changes to it right up until the end. Once I had fully plumbed the engine and made up the cowling and boot cowls, I then disassembled everything for sandblast/paint.

Upon reassembly, I transferred the mock up to my final titanium firewall.

And the aluminum panel definitely had some extra holes in it......

Comment

The fire wall profile (outline) is on drawing: 18, FUSLAGE STA. I scanned that portion of the drawing and used the dimensions to scale the drawing I made.

I used AutoCAD to do the drawing I made. But you can use DraftSight to do the same job.

Drawing 16 has the profile of the fuselage at the door post. With those 2 drawings I had the 2 ends of the sheet metal between the firewall and the instrument panel, the boot cowl.
              Last edited by S Lathrop; 04-10-2017, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X