Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Officially out of the play pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officially out of the play pen

N241BP is officially out of the play pen!! When I checked the hobbs back in the hanger today it was exactly 40.0.
    (N240BP has another 1.5 hrs. to go)

Yesterday and today we discovered a couple of Gremlins in the Dynon system, and today we fixed one—I think, and the others have not shown themselves again, yet. N241 is having an intermittent issue with the PTT. When engaged, the #1 CHT went wacko and quit going wacko when it was disengaged. Did it a number of times in one short flight and then stopped doing it and is working normally so far. Another issue was the Mag compass was way out of whack—heading 180 and showing 90. On the compass rose a heading of 180 showed the mag compass at 305. Not possible to calibrate on the ground, so we did the suggested in the air calibration and it fixed it. Good thing. I didn’t want to have to send it back. I'm calling Dynon to find out how it could be so far off and how two 360 degree turns in opposite directions could possibly fix it. Hopefully it will stay that way and not wonder off in a heading of its own. We both have placed the ADAHRS on an aluminum plate attached to aluminum 1/2 in angles which are attached to the aluminum stringers and all this is centered in behind the rear bulkhead. There is no compass interference in this spot. Our ELT antenna is behind that and of course unless it is working, it is not a problem. Dennis could calibrate his but it was off more than it should be. The in air calibration fixed both of them.

Dennis had a message on his skyview that said there was a system event #5. Not an emergency, but get it checked out. Apparently it needs to go back to the factory, which means he will be grounded. ;-( He’s not gona like it, but now that I have 40 hrs flown, he can fly with me. ;-) On a trip north last week we were looking at 175 MPH ground speeds. Been a while since I’ve seen anything like that!! Still haven’t done a thing about insurance, so nothing to post about that. Donna P.S. Jared, thanks for the tip, those connectors are ordered.

Talked with Dynon about how the in air calibration worked and they said they were surprised it did work. Normally if it's off that far and you can't calibrate on the ground, you probably can't calibrate in the air. He said the turns allow it to seek out magnetic north amongst the interference of the steel tube aircraft, sorts it all out during the turns and waa laa, your calibrated!! I was also told today that a smart phone internal compass is pretty much calibrated the same way--hold it at arms length and do a figure 8 in the air. Amazing stuff!!!
    Last edited by Flygirl1; 04-17-2017, 08:51 PM. Reason: Talked to Dynon about Mag compass issue.

Very cool. I'm officially jealous now...
    Jim Parker
    Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
    RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

• Flygirl1
      Flygirl1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Your turn is coming!!

Donna, What are three decisions that you mad which are very pleasing to you? Are there any thing you wish you had done differently?
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Flygirl1
      Flygirl1 commented
      Editing a comment
      First the decision to actually do this was the best one and the worst is not having done it sooner. I tossed the idea around about a year before I actually said OK. lets do this. As far as the plane, best--getting the quick build kit including the wings, worst--trying to paint the plane ourself. Wasted a lot of paint and time!! D. P.S. We both feel exactly the same about it. ;-)

Wow! 40 hrs already! Congratulations! Yesterday, I watched 8.0 appear on the screen. Sounds like you still have a couple of gremlins, huh? Me too! My first build had digital cht / egt gauges. No analyzer, just cylinder selectable indicators. When I keyed the mic switch, both gauges would go crazy, numbers ascending and descending. I just figured it was a plastic plane, without much ground structure. I got used to it. If you've got just one cylinder that's whacky, you'll figure it out.
    Ya better let Dennis fly yours.... Remember that thing about payback.
    Congratulations again!

Bill

Comment

• Flygirl1
      Flygirl1 commented
      Editing a comment
      This PTT Gremlin is messing with me. In the last 40 hrs it did it’s thing only on one flight. It’s hiding and very good at it. Intermittent Gremlins are the worst!! The #4 cyl CHT Gremlin has not come out to play again either. I really liked the look of those Thermocoupler connectors Jared pointed out. I believe the crimped connectors are the source of that Gremlin. We're putting them on all connections on both planes. As far as Dennis-- I'm not sure he would fly it even if I offered. When my turn comes for being grounded, I'll ride in the back seat just fine. Actually it's a really comfy place to sit and the view is awesome. ;-)

As an added note we loaded the planes for camping and had room to spare. Even though we spread it out to two planes, it was obvious to us one person could camp very comfortably. We left the back seat in so if someone took it out, there would be even more room. Neither plane had the weight of one person, so when we flew them we didn't notice anything was back there. Johnson Creek, here we come!!

Comment

Working...
    X