Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grove Wheels & Brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grove Wheels & Brakes

My Bearhawk 4plc. has Grove wheels & brakes. I don't have any experience with the Grove gear & I would like to have an extra set of wheels for this winter when I will be going to skis Can anyone give me some insight on these Wheels?
    Jim Lindner

Jim;

This might not be much help....but here is the Grove Aircraft webpage for 6" main wheels and brakes. http://www.groveaircraft.com/600series.html

I have a Patrol and I got Kit 66-152. If you follow this chart and find my kit, you will see its made for an axle diameter of 1.50 inches, static load rating of 1750 lbs. (per wheel) keep following it over and you'll find number of pistons, piston diameter, and disc thickness. A wheel that ends with A is made of aluminum. a wheel that ends in M is made of magnesium, and is about 1/2 the weight of Aluminum. The last thee digits of each kit gives a hint too...if that three digit number is a 200 series number, its more expensive magnesium whereas the one hundred series is Aluminum. S, our wheels have four variables, material, number of pistons, Piston Diameter, and disc thickness.

Anyway, at Oshkosh, Robby Grove said that the 66-152 kit was what I wanted for a large tire application on the Patrol, and Mark Goldberg backed that up. It may be the same for your four place application, but don't trust it.

Here is a photo of the Double Piston caliper...its got a pair of brake pads.
    Photo on 5-11-17 at 9.41 PM.jpg
    So, in conclusion, You have a 1.50" axle. Check out your caliper design, and measure your disc thickness and you'll be close. If you measure you piston diameter, and the cross reference all this on the chart you will know exactly what you have.

Brooks Cone
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks Brooks,
      I have the single puck Grove brakes. I have not been able to fly the aircraft since I bought it, as Mitch Tucker, my AI, has been going through the airplane stem to stern. I live in the Traverse City area and do a lot of ski flying in the winter. I have a set of Datum 2500 skis that I have been using on my Wag Aero 2+2 and want to put them on the 4 plc. Because the Datum skis need 600 tires I would be looking for another set of wheels. My curiosity is, should I stay with the Groves or go to Cleveland's. I have no experience with the Grove gear and wondered what the experimental group thought of them.

Where are you located??????
      Jim Lindner

Comment

Grove makes good stuff. Absolutely no reason to switch to Cleveland IMO.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Thanks for the input Whee. Spring is just coming here so have some time to spare. Ty, a 4 plc. flyer in NH has a set of the Datum Skis, so will be interested what wheel she is using
          Jim L

Comment

Jim, I live in Chelsea, between Ann Arbor and Jackson. I agree with Whee. The quality of the Grove product looks outstanding to me. My impression about Cleveland is that their spare part prices are extremely high.
            Brooks Cone
            Southeast Michigan
            Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Interesting Brooks,
              I lived on a farm when I was a lad at the corner of Freer rd & Washington st. If you went straight ahead on Washington you would have run right into the house. Haven't been that way in about 50 yrs. so don't know what there now.

Jim

Comment

Brooks,
                Do you know Jim Mynning
                Jim

Comment

Jim

I PM'd you.

Brooks
                  Brooks Cone
                  Southeast Michigan
                  Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Originally posted by jflindner View Post
                    Thanks for the input Whee. Spring is just coming here so have some time to spare. Ty, a 4 plc. flyer in NH has a set of the Datum Skis, so will be interested what wheel she is using
                    Jim L
                    When on skis, I'm using the Cleveland single puck wheels and brakes that were on the plane when I bought it. During the summer, I'm on Alaskan Bushwheel ABI-199-62 Wheel and Brake Kit (ABI-40-75D Wheel Assembly, ABI-30-52N Brake Assembly) to get bigger brakes. I hope to find time to engage Jean Marc (correct name?) at Datum to see about modifying the ski to accept the bigger brakes and stop changing them seasonally.

As for the Groves, I've heard nothing but good about them. I went with ABI because when I looked, it appeared that most of Grove's price advantage had disappeared and when (if?) I ever put BushWheels on, there would be no question that they fit properly.

I see no reason for you to change from Grove.

Comment

• yateselden
                      yateselden commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Kestral, do you know what the part numbers are for your disc and torque plate. I need to buy a set of double pucks. Some say the ABI 199-62 bolt right up others say you need a different disc or torque plate. Where you have ABIs maybe you can help. Thanks

That is pretty much what I have been hearing. I think I will look for another set of the Grove Wheels and mount the 600"s for the skis.
                    Thanks much.........
                    Jim Lindner

Comment

Working...
                    X