Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying wire purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying wire purchase

Hi all,
    I am at some point going to need the flying wires and after speaking with Bob Barrows have decided to go with Steen despite the obscene price.
    There is also a lengthy lead time as well even after the order. The cost is considerably cheaper for a group buy (5) than individually so Im seeing if anyone else may be interested. Also for those already with the wires I found a thread which mentioned 49 inch length and 40 inch length. Do these match what others have installed? The plans are at the airport so I haven't seen what they say. I'm probably going to place the order in a month or so, so if you're interested in the group buy let me know. I am building the 4 place so I'm only guessing they want them all the same sizes for a group buy. Thanks

Tim;

FYI, a Bearhawk group buy was placed with Steen in early March. 27813-flying-wire-group-buy If you put your order in with Cheryl at Steen Aero Lab, she will know exactly what product you need. Just tell her it for a 4 place Bearhawk. I did not feel as though all five orders needed to be of the exact same Bearhawk model.

Additionally, there is another flying wire vender in our world, called Vintage Aero. Read post #9 on this thread. 1357-streamline-flying-wires I have an oldish price quote from them that was competitive with the Steen Aero Lab Group Buy. Vintage also sold SS terminal fittings for less than Steen, if you want to go that route. I went with less expensive Cad Pated terminals ends.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

I bought my wires from Vintage Aero. No problems with the transaction. He matched the Steen group price but the lead time was a couple weeks longer.

I know you didn't ask but...I feel like I wasted $800. If I could do it over I would use rotary swaged cables and a turnbuckle. My plane will be a bush beater though...with big tires and round tube shock struts I wouldn't have noticed any speed loss.
      Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Brooks and Whee, thank you guys for the info and the feedback. The prices are ridiculous but Whee I think I want to go that route as admittedly I'm pretty good with sheet metal work,, but I don't have the tools, equipment or knowledge to be a true fabricator. I truly admire all you scratch builders. Brooks thank you for the group buy info I will call Cheryl today and check on that. If I can get in on that it will save me a bunch. I'm going to Oshkosh this summer so I hope I can meet some of you fellow Bearhawers in person.

Comment

• Wmilbauer
          Wmilbauer commented
          Editing a comment
          I have looked at all the options and have decided to go with the 5/32 cable and nicopress and spend my money on the new T3 tail wheel spring.
      Working...
      X