Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hangar clearance for a Bearhawk on amphib floats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangar clearance for a Bearhawk on amphib floats

HI all, Before I start my build I need to enclose my open air hangar which will eventually house the plane on floats. Can any of you (maybe a couple due to variations) provide a measurement of the highest part of the airplane on the ground on amphib floats? I need to know if I need to raise the roof before I close it in. Also, I've seen a few posts on strengthening the fuselage and adding attachment points for the floats. Is there a tried and true recommendation for what is needed? Thank you very much!
    Brad
    Pearl River LA
    4 place quick build
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by Brad Ripp; 06-02-2017, 09:27 PM.

alaskabearhawk Paul Minelga will likely be your best point of contact on this one, having been involved with a straight float installation. Do you have an idea which floats you're looking at? Clamars look to be 29" tall, not counting gear down and rigging (I know it's not a lot to go on). Montana floats appear similar.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Thank you Chris, The float choice will probably be whatever I come across that is a good fit when I'm ready. I "assume" the attach points on the fuselage will be standard no matter which set I wind up with?

Comment

I have my plane on straight floats sitting on a trailer which is higher than it would be on amphibs. Tail height is 11' 6", my door opens to about a 12' opening. I would stay away from edo 2700 series and whip 3000 series amphibs because they are way to heavy, your useful load would be about the same as a exp. cub on amphibs. If you're going on amphibs build it as light as possible. I will probably go to amphibs some day and be looking at finding a set of Montana 2800's or whip 2350's. I think those would be the best for size and weight.

Comment

• Peter Girard
          Peter Girard commented
          Editing a comment
          GOTO web site www,aviationpg.com 819-438-1758
          more photo and liste price

• Peter Girard
          Peter Girard commented
          Editing a comment
          no probleme for opening door, i make special rigging for you.
          www. aviationpg.com

• Brad Ripp
          Brad Ripp commented
          Editing a comment
          Peter, Thank you. How much is the total weight installed for the 2750 amphibs? Thank you,
          Brad

Originally posted by Brad Ripp View Post
        Thank you Chris, The float choice will probably be whatever I come across that is a good fit when I'm ready. I "assume" the attach points on the fuselage will be standard no matter which set I wind up with?
        alaskabearhawk Paul shot video of Mr. Taylor's project as he installed floats on his plane. You might get some cues from his installation.

Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
        X