Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bdflies---Helicopters!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bdflies---Helicopters!!

Dennis and I were late getting a start this morning at Cottage Grove, OR (61S) due to fog and a starting issue. But a neat thing happened because of it. As we were warming up I heard a helicopter call 1 mi west north bound. Nothing unusual there. While waiting for temps to rise I asked Dennis how his idle speed was, we had just changed it. Shortly after that I hear someone “out there” ask what kind of planes were those talking about idle speed. When I replied Bearhawk Patrols the person says: “ Hi Donna”. Well guess who, none other than Bill from Louisiana!! ALL the way from Louisiana!! In this neat little helicopter. I think today was day #5 in that helicopter on his way to the Seattle area. Didn’t get the chance to stop and visit, but flew along side for a bit and I have to give him and who ever was with him lots of credit spending that much time in that bird!! Just a really neat coincidence and thought I’d share. ;-)

You have no idea how surprised I was to hear you ask Dennis about idle speed! We'd just left Bandon State, hopped over to the valley to do the IFR thing. I-5 seemed like a good road to me... We passed so many airports, in 5 days of flying, another one named Cottage Grove just didn't ring any bells - till I heard a young lady ask Dennis about idle speed... A light turned on! When I started talking to y'all, Will (left seat) looked at me like I was hallucinating!
    Thanks so much for catching up and giving us some great views of those fabulous Patrols. We REALLY wanted to stop and I apologize for not stopping. We were so tired and time critical - to drop the heli and catch a flight back to Seatac. But it sure was great to meet up with you guys!
    I've attached a couple of pics. I learned something about aircraft colors. Darker colors show up better in air to air pics... In real life, though, both are beauties!

About the trip; We did it once and agreed neither of us would fly a 2,500 mile trip in an R-22 again.... Don't need 2 of those T-shirts!

Bill
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

For several years, I've told The Blonde that my bucket list includes driving the 101 Pacific coast highway - in a convertible. When she picked us up from our flight home, I told her I no longer needed to drive that highway. In beautiful weather, I got to fly some of the 101! Pics attached.
      I know these weren't experienced in a Bearhawk, I just figured they were good enough to share.

Bill
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Yeah, cross-country trips in a small helicopter are "challenging" to say the least. I once led a flight of six OH-58A (Bell 206 derivative) Army helicopters from Ft Ord, CA (Monterey area) to Corpus Christi, TX to be refurbished and converted to "Charlie" models at the depot maintenance facility there. Then we flew commercial to Ft Polk, LA to pick up the replacement helicopters, and fly them back to Ft. Ord. Total of just over 2,900 miles, at 120 knots (or less - often a LOT less with headwinds). It was a great experience, and I learned a lot about both cross-country flying (with zero navaids - not even an ADF or VOR), and maybe even more about leadership. But that's a story for one of the Bearhawk get-togethers...
        Jim Parker
        Farmersville, TX (NE of Dallas)
        RANS S-6ES (E-LSA) with Rotax 912ULS (100 HP)

Comment

Working...
        X