Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying out a 3D camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying out a 3D camera

I picked up one of the cheap 2016 Samsung Gear 360 cameras to try out, primarily in powered paragliding, but here's a test in the Bearhawk. For this video, the camera was mounted to the front spar carry through tube. I think next time I'll remove the skylight cover and mount it to one of the diagonal tubes over the right seat pilot's head. My impression so far is that this camera is pretty well-suited for post-flight analysis, but not really useful for gathering footage of scenery. It is especially poor at handling the high dynamic range of the cockpit. It is full-length and unedited (that is, boring) but you can pan around during the video and look in any direction.

I picked up one of the cheap 2016 Samsung Gear 360 cameras to try out, primarily in powered paragliding, but here's a test in the Bearhawk. For this video, t...
    Last edited by jaredyates; 12-20-2017, 08:58 AM. Reason: adding the link helps, thanks Chris!

Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

That was fun! I like this, too, because it gives me perspective into others' technique when handling a taildragger. I never "watch" myself when I fly. It just sort of happens. But I like seeing how others do things. Little things, like leaning for taxi, adjusting MP/RPM after takeoff, application of rudder in phases of takeoff... that sort of thing.

Is that an ADSB receiver antenna along the top of your windshield? Or VHF so the girls can watch SpongeBob during long trips?
      Christopher Owens
      Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
      Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
      Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

• jaredyates
        jaredyates commented
        Editing a comment
        The antenna is for the glideslope. It is not usually so prominent, but it is really close to the lens in that mounting location.

That was awesome, Jared. Thank you!

I have one of those VR headsets for phones, so using Google Cardboard i was able to sit in the cockpit with you and enjoy the flight as if i was there. The only thing that would have made it more realistic was if the camera was mounted where the passenger's head we be.

Not necessary, though, as the experience was excellent.
      -------------------
      Mark

Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
      Bearhawk 4A #1078 (Scratch building - C-GPFG reserved)
      RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)

Comment

Sweet! I can't even really tell where the mounting point is by the picture.
        I'd love to see your PPG footage too.
        Mark
        Scratch building Patrol #275
        Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
      X