Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trim Nicopress Fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim Nicopress Fittings

So my Swage-It tool has a hole for 1/16" Nicopress fittings, but it looks like the entire fitting will be compressed. This is as intended? I ask because this would not be consistent with what I've seen in AC 43.13-1B or the aviation maintenance technician handbook.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

The number of crimps depends on the tool used and the sleeve. Attached are the instructions for one of the more common Nicopress tools and it has tables for the sequence and number of crimps for the various sizes.

You will need to make a judgement if you are using a different tool.

Nicopress instruction32.pdf
    Attached Files

Comment

Reading the instructions is the key, go figure. 1 crimp for 1/16 sleeves. I was fixated on matching the FAA figures, thanks for bringing me back.
      Dave B.
      Plane Grips Co.
      www.planegrips.com

Comment

There are swage tools that crimp the entire sleeve at once but you might verify that they are acceptable for aircraft use. I seem to remember the information I read talked about those kind of swaging tools but can't remember exactly.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

The key is AC43 13 is for use in lieu of(not in place of) manufacturer's instructions.

The Nicopress instructions I posted are specific to that tool but do illustrate that at least some tools use a single crimp on 1/16" sleeves.

But the operator needs to verify with the instructions for the specific tool being used.

Comment

Working...
          X