Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rivet size on ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rivet size on ribs

The rivets on all the skins overlaying each other are MS20426-4 and on the Spars MS 20246-3 AD, are the rivets on the other ribs also MS 20246-3 AD?

Which model are you referring to? On the 4 place, the -4 rivets are used on the skin overlaps, main spar flange to center rib flange points, and also to rivet the .032" inboard skin to the spars. -3's everywhere else.
    Last edited by nichzimmerman; 01-22-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks, That exactly what I wanted to hear. The first double rib also!

Comment

• nichzimmerman
        nichzimmerman commented
        Editing a comment
        I had to edit my response to include one more location. Where are you seeing that they are used on the whole root rib assembly? I must have missed that...

I am asking, I do not see it on the plans.

Comment

Easiest way is to get a rivet gauge and use whatever is necessary.........

Comment

Is the MS20426-4 an A or AD designation? I see the 20246-3 AD listed in places with the AD hardness, but nowhere can I find the -4 designation (and all supplier listings I see for the -4 is either an A or AD available) Thanks!

Comment

• Brad Ripp
            Brad Ripp commented
            Editing a comment
            I think I see it now. Calls for AD except where otherwise noted. Which I understand now structural is always going to be the AD?

That's correct. "AD" rivets are tempered. "A" rivets are soft. Typically used in an application where you're going to weld over them, like in your fuel tanks. You wouldn't use an "A" rivet in a structural application.
          Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Working...
          X