Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Landing Gear Attach Bushings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landing Gear Attach Bushings?

I'm about to start the landing gear on my LSA and noticed there isn't any bushing incorporated into the attach points. Has anyone flying a higher time Bearhawk noticed any play developing in the landing gear attach points? If so where? I see posts on the cub forum regarding gear attach point play over time and bushing replacement.

Best info I can offer - not LSA sorry - we put about 500hrs of non-stop landings on rough gravel and off airport, BH 4 place with quite firm 26" tires for most of that too. I have zero slop in the LG attach points.

Very easy to retrofit bushings in future, if the problem eventuates.

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the info Battson. I’ll be flying the LSA in similar conditions. If a little play develops a person could go to a slightly oversized bolt and run a reamer through the attach points. Did you assemble them with grease/do you add any periodically?
      Last edited by lsa140; 01-23-2018, 01:00 AM.

Comment

When I restored my Champ 30 years ago, the landing gear bolt holes were elongated. I ended up addding doubters on the outside ears and used longer bolts. My point is that after 1100 hrs. There has been no discernible wear. I think the reason is that the bolts get a shot of LPS ever year at annual time along with rotating the bolt. Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by H. Ivan Haecker View Post
          When I restored my Champ 30 years ago, the landing gear bolt holes were elongated. I ended up addding doubters on the outside ears and used longer bolts. My point is that after 1100 hrs. There has been no discernible wear. I think the reason is that the bolts get a shot of LPS ever year at annual time along with rotating the bolt. Works for me.
          Thanks Ivan, thats good to know. I'm sure the LPS keeps the moisture out and reduces friction. Planes that get left sitting in the elements with little care probably develop a little corrosion in those joints and once a little play takes hold the movement increases the wear rate quickly.

Comment

Working...
          X