Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel System Y-Fitting Attach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here's a question about clamps. In the second and third photos above you can see the un-padded clamp that's used on the vertical tube to attach the WDG clamp that holds the fuel line after the former. I didn't have any of the thinner clamps for tubes that size but I realized if I took the padding off a WDG clamp (maybe a -12 I can't remember) it would work well, even though it's slightly thicker. Thing I just realized is those clamps are aluminum and not steel like the other un-padded clamps are.

Now the steel clamps are still quite loose after install on the correctly sized tube but these aluminum clamps are snugged down pretty good. Anyone see any issues using these AL clamps bare? I'd rather not have to purchase and stock more of these things if I don't need to, especially since the "aircraft grade" ones from ACS are fairly expensive as hardware goes, for a band of steel...

Perhaps someone has alternatives?
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Comment

Originally posted by Archer39J View Post
      So here's a question about clamps. In the second and third photos above you can see the un-padded clamp that's used on the vertical tube to attach the WDG clamp that holds the fuel line after the former. I didn't have any of the thinner clamps for tubes that size but I realized if I took the padding off a WDG clamp (maybe a -12 I can't remember) it would work well, even though it's slightly thicker. Thing I just realized is those clamps are aluminum and not steel like the other un-padded clamps are.

Now the steel clamps are still quite loose after install on the correctly sized tube but these aluminum clamps are snugged down pretty good. Anyone see any issues using these AL clamps bare? I'd rather not have to purchase and stock more of these things if I don't need to, especially since the "aircraft grade" ones from ACS are fairly expensive as hardware goes, for a band of steel...

Perhaps someone has alternatives?
      Steel on steel seems to be OK in my limited experience.

Buy more WDG clamps. They are one of the cheapest things you can install in your plane

The dissimilar metal on metal thing isn't ideal. Bare metal vs bare metal doesn't hold still, things rub against one-another, the paint will disappear. I suppose it could lead to mild galling.

Comment

• Archer39J
        Archer39J commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh I have a bunch of WDG clamps, it's the high-precision fancy 50ksi steel bands I'm trying to avoid and looking to substitute with un-padded WDGs. Mostly in a few places under floor boards load permitting, just curious if anyone else have done this.

I found a couple of wraps of electrical tape made the unpadded clamps fit much tighter..........

Comment

Working...
      X