Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA: Titanium and Cadmium Embrittlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA: Titanium and Cadmium Embrittlement

Just a heads up to anyone planning on using titanium on their build, like for the firewall or tunnel as I have done. Cadmium can embrittle titanium if it gets through the passive titanium oxide layer on the surface. Boeing apparently dictates no cad-plated hardware shall be in contact with Ti parts at all, but other sources I've read say the Ti needs to be stressed to >50% its yield strength with cadmium pressed into the Ti for this to be an issue.

Since it's an easy enough thing to do I'll be isolating my Ti parts from any cad-plated hardware. Stainless steel fasteners can be used and will not react galvanically with Ti. For the firewall substituting SS hardware will be fine strength-wise, but that's something to keep in mind depending on the application. The tunnel gets lapped by aluminum boot cowl panels on the sides and that should sufficiently isolate the cad-plated hardware there. But I will be using SS fasteners on the front where it attaches to the firewall flange, which is also Ti.
    Dave B.
    Plane Grips Co.
    www.planegrips.com

Good to know, thanks Dave.

Comment

Working...
    X