Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to build an inspection plate and cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to build an inspection plate and cover?

Afternoon, We are currently starting to cover N97RM with Oratex and its time to think about inspection covers. I have bought a bunch of the standard 4 inch round ones from Spruce but since I have a suspension tailwheel I will need more access. I was thinking of cutting out an inspection ring in what ever shape I choose out of aluminum and then also cutting the cover to fit over it. I was then going to drill and countersink nutplates on the ring. Seems like it shouldnt be an issue but thought I would ask if anyone knows of a better way to build the mouse trap?

We did several rectangular frames and covers in Stewart System fabric. Did not install nut plates, just using #4 pk screws to hold covers as suggested in Stewart instructions.

Comment

I did the same thing, some I used nutplates, some I used sheet metal screws. If they strip over time, I'll put in some tinnermans.
      Rollie VanDorn
      Findlay, OH
      Patrol Quick Build

Comment

Originally posted by Ed.Meyer View Post
        We did several rectangular frames and covers in Stewart System fabric. Did not install nut plates, just using #4 pk screws to hold covers as suggested in Stewart instructions.
        I did the same but plan to use screws with finer threads than the standard PKs.
        Scratch Built 4-place Bearhawk. Continental IO-360, 88" C203 McCauley prop.

Comment

Working...
        X