Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lycoming O-540, magneto rotation direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lycoming O-540, magneto rotation direction?

I'm going to be using a lightspeed electronic ignition, backed up by a slick magneto. I am thoroughly confused on which slick part number to buy. Looking at an O-540 user manual, it says the magnetos turn clockwise, looking at the accessory case. I called Lycoming, spoke to a tech and he verified that. I then went to Champions slick magneto application guide and looked up my engine model. They show a 6355 left magneto with impulse coupling, and a 6350 direct drive magneto on the right side. They are both described as left turning? Can someone shed some light on this?

I think I understand the issue at hand, but when I made a first attempt at an explanation, I think it would have increased the confusion. Attempt #2:
    Standing behind the engine, the prop rotates clockwise (RH) rotation. Standing in front of the plane, looking at the prop turning, one views the propellor turning counter clockwise (LH) rotation. It's perspective.
    looking at the gears of the accessory case drive, they will impart RH rotation, viewed from the back of the case. Holding that mag in your hand, looking at the drive gear, you will rotate the shaft LH to make it function. Plug that mag into the accessory case, view it from the back of the case, it will be rotating RH.
    Or, I could be full of it... But I would trust the Slick application guide.

Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill, you are exactly right. I took the time this morning to read through the application guide. Slicks convention for rotation direction is looking at the magneto from the drive end. Opposite of Lycomings convention for propeller and accessory case rotation.

Comment

Working...
      X