Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spray equipment for Painting Tubing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spray equipment for Painting Tubing

Sometime this summer I will be sand blasting then painting my frame. I will be using Stewarts Ekopoxy topcoated with Ekopoly. The only spray equipment I currently have is a Croix HVLP setup. It actually worked well for spraying my Maule frame with Polyfiber products many years ago. I understand that probably wouldn't work well with the Stewarts products. I am looking for something that can be adjusted to a small circular pattern so I don't waste a lot of product while painting the frame. I don't know if I need a detail gun, or airbrush etc.

Stewart systems has a recommended gun on there website. I think I would use there recommended gun and then you can use there recommended settings.

Comment

Having used Stewart Systems with the recommended gun, I would think it would work fine. The recommened settings are a wide pattern. I think it would be easy enough to adjust to smaller pattern though.

Comment

When I was talking to Stewart's, they suggested a touch-up gun might work well for tubing because it minimizes overspray. So far, the touch-up gun is all I've used including priming the ribs and spars.
        Mark
        Scratch building Patrol #275
        Hood River, OR

Comment

I used something similar to this http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/Pag...=1,43456,43390 with a small airbrush compressor to paint my tubing using Stits.

Comment

• rodsmith
            rodsmith commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks good, and the price is right.

Talked to Andy at Stewarts this morning. He said the gun they sell could be adjusted to work, but because of size considerations recommended a harbor freight touch up gun, said it is ok on tubing.

Comment

Working...
          X