Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might be selling the Bearhawk :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might be selling the Bearhawk :(

Hey guys. I found out im going to be getting a divorce. As many of you know a divorce isnt usualy cohesive to an airplane build. I was wondering if you could help me with rough idea of what I can get for it? Its probably 80% done. All the boot cowl is done and the motor is in and the spinner set. The cowling needs install and its ready to paint. Wings are done and ready for paint. Oratex is done, Have the prop and governor. It needed wiring and a panel and its ready to fly. Interior is also done. Its an )470 with logs and 300 hours, Prop is new.

Oh bugger

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I’ve also been down this road and it’s pretty hard to deal with building an airplane while going through that.

If you do sell, you will loose a bit of money, but then again you’re getting a divorce so that ship has sailed.

My advice (I know... if you don’t want it, just stop here) is to let your situation dictate the outcome.

If you are going to be a single dad week on and week off (or less), and enjoy building, and aren’t hurting for the cash, then building might be good therapy, and by giving your soon to be former spouse some other asset, you can find a way to keep it, which might be cheaper as it’s not worth what you think it is. Might be able to buy her out for $30k.

In my situation, she kept the house and equity, and I kept the airplane. 7 years later I’m finally finishing it, but I was a full time single parent in the middle which prevented me from building it, which is why I suggested you let the outcome dictate the situation. If I was giving advice to myself I’d say sell it as I didn’t have any time to build, and I could have spent the money on a 170 or something to fly in the meant time until later when I had more time to build.

Hope that helps,
      Schu

Comment

I am new to this forum, but not to your situation. I would second Schu's advice; if your a single Dad time gets filled up pretty quickly. Those days just flew by. But you are pretty close to finishing something that you and your children can enjoy for a long time. If the finances work I would try to keep it. Good luck in whatever decision you make.
        Scott Ahrens
        Bearhawk Patrol Plans Built

Comment

Thank you fellas! I am doing ok money wise but time will be a concern. Thats why I was wondering what an accurate value may be. If its high enough to buy an airplane or at least half of one then I may go that route to spend time flying with my kids rather than in the garage building it.

Comment

I know the situation your in is tough, been there done that. But as to the last part wondering if you might get enough to maybe purchase another plane? I purchased a 4place BH in about the same build finish yours is in the 90K range. I wanted the BH but after I purchased it I found out that there was a Maule for sale at the neighboring airport for 51K IFR certified (may still be available).
            I would say if that's what you choose it is do-able. If you can work a deal with her I still like the BH better.

Comment

So you paid 90 k for the plane ?

Comment

I say-- sell the wife--- use half the funds to buy wing parts. Shop for a Divorce judge who is a pilot.

My outlook has become-- why even work if you cant use some of that money
                to peruse whatever passion you have in life ?????? Otherwise just be on welfare and food stamps like all the dope smokin snowflakes. Where would we have been if
                Michelangelo never carved David----- or our founders never decided to risk forming a brand new country...… There are a few things that we can do that create things of beauty
                which may be appreciated as art or have contain some intangible spark which remains past our short stay here. My Dad used to repeat--- "a thing of beauty is a joy forever"
                He was the smartest man I ever knew--- and he gets smarter with every day that passes. It IS sad to discover that someone who you thought was fighting the good fight WITH
                you has decided walk away. Just don't forget to remember the good things you've done- not the least of which is building something of such great beauty as the bearhawk. Not
                everyone will understand that idea---- but those who DO---- will GREATLY ! Flight is man's greatest aspiration...… a way to get closer to heaven -
                I will be praying for your situation that the Lord will make a way for you -
                Tim

Comment

Working...
                X