Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing crate to threaded airframe supports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing crate to threaded airframe supports

One of the things I wanted to get better at is welding. I turned the first wing crate into scrap as quickly as I could, but did make a wing rotisserie out of it. I just took the top off the second wing crate, but had a plan this time. I made fuselage (main gear and tail) supports with threaded adjusters, and wing supports, also with threaded adjusters. It should make leveling everything a lot easier, and the price was right. Just a bit of threaded rod. I think cheaper than renting drywall jacks for a few days, and now I get to take my time doing it.

And my welding is improving.............
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I have a large, flat table on wheels, and adjustable height rotisserie almost done, and it is also on wheels. I can use the rotisserie to lift the wing off the table, and transfer it to the wing supports. I only need another person to help me lift the wing out of the crate initially, and close the wings at the end. I can move the wings around at my leisure, with little to no risk (I am sure I will invent some risk, and install some hanger rash despite this).

Comment

• Bcone1381
      Bcone1381 commented
      Editing a comment
      I like photos of rotisseries. Will your rotisserie work for your fuselage too?

There is no reason it wouldn't work for the fuselage. Both are adjustable for height, or at least will be on Tuesday when I can get the pieces to make them adjustable. The only thing that I had to buy is the threaded rod for the other adjustments,and whatever I use to make the height of the rotisserie adjustable. They don't need precision so I might just go with a telescoping piece of tube with a few holes drill in them to adjust the height. The rest came from the wing crates, and I still have 1/2 a crate left. (I probably threw away 1/3 of the first wing crate - mistake).

Being able to move the wings around safely,solely, and at my leisure is going to be nice and very convenient.

Comment

Working...
    X