Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jig Pin Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jig Pin Holes

Good Evening!

My master rib is almost done, but I would like to add jig pin holes. I am planning on drilling 3/8" holes and inserting steel spacers with an ID of 1/4" for durability, but I am unsure of where to drill. I have found on here that Bob said the center holes of the lightning holes can be used for jig pins, but I was hoping to use the router method for the lightning holes. I've seen many pictures where people have opted for additional jig pin holes but have been unable to find any guidance in regards to acceptable locations for them. Could someone shed some light on the matter (or tell me I'm overthinking it ). Thanks in advance!
    Todd Weld
    Plans #1515B
    www.facebook.com/N729TW/

Just find big open spaces in the corners and the middle (for the center ribs) and go to town.

Refer to this thread of my rib building experience to see where I put them:

BBQ ribs are great, but wing ribs are pretty cool, too. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/05/d3428b6c9b82131199d7085d5e61be25.jpg Getting the aft ribs
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

The holes in the ribs for the aft aileron cable probably would be good as well.

Comment

Just now making my center rib tooling. Don't see any reason the rear holes there for the cable and the torque tube cant be jig pin holes earlier on.
        I made my jig pin bushings out of 1/4 inch steel seamless brake line and used 3/16 bolts through them. Tried 1/4 chrome-molly but the fit was SLIGHTLY too tight. Brake line seems to have just enough slack that you aernt fighting the alignment constantly.
        I think I have about 6 or 7 jig pin holes in the center rib. 2 in the nose rib.

Tim

Comment

I used 2 jig pin holes per rib and it worked fine. 2 locations on opposite ends of the rib are sufficient to orient the rib blanks relative to the form block, flanging dies, and router templates.

Comment

Thanks guys! Just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be ruining the master rib. And I like the idea of using the holes for the cable and tube as jig pin holes in the beginning!
            Todd Weld
            Plans #1515B
            www.facebook.com/N729TW/

Comment

I don't mean to hijack my own thread, but wasn't sure if it warranted its own.

Tonight I made my jig for cutting the aluminum blanks for the nose ribs and used a 3/8 router bit for the job. My concern is that the corners for the flanges may be over radiused, if that is possible. I've included a picture and welcome feedback! Thanks in advance!
              Attached Files
              Todd Weld
              Plans #1515B
              www.facebook.com/N729TW/

Comment

Working...
              X