Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clevis Pins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clevis Pins

I am uncertain what the industry best practices - acceptable methods for using Clevis Pins (aka flathead pins in AC43.13). I like Ceivs Pins, simple, light weight, easy to assemble/dis-assemble. I always use the proper length, with a washer and cotter pin, applied when no tension forces are present. Rather than a yes/no input on this example, do you have some general rules for use of clevis pins (flathead, AN392)?

Is it prudent to use a clevis in the positions shown? Note; hardware not specified on plans. (Aileron Bellcrank, Patrol Plans p.8)
    Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.56.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.52.32 AM.png
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Well, as a specific use case, all the control surfaces on my Maule use clevis pins in the hinges, so they're certainly durable enough. Ailerons, elevators, rudders -- all of them. Knowing that, I don't think I could find a reason not to use them there. Only reason I could think not to is if you had to have some sort of pressure on the fastener from the end that only a bolt/nut combo could provide, just like you said.

But, like you, this is from inexperienced observation. Just what I've seen used on my plane.
    Christopher Owens
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I would consult AC 43.13. MG

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        AC43.13 is pretty silent. It showed me a drawing of a clevis pin and not much more.

Clevis pins are allowed where there is no tension force as you have indicated, washers are a good practice although that is sometimes violated even by commercial airplane manufacturers flying wires in the tail being a typical example. If you are using a bolt instead realize that the threaded portion should not be within the grip range of the connection. I remember this one from my A&P school exams.

Comment

Working...
      X