Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitot/static testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitot/static testing

Running tubing to the future ADHRS and G5 locations. I can't remember the details of the pitot/static test that has to be done every two years. Is there a provision I can make in the plumbing to make it easier for the technician to accomplish.

Hi Rod,

Sounds like you’re using Garmin stuff. The biennial encoder test verifies that it’s reporting accurate altitudes. This is done by reducing the static pressure and watching transponder reports as the encoder senses 'increasing altitude'. Garmin cautions about being sure to tie all 3 ports (static, pitot and AOA) together when performing this test. I recall that they claim the ADHRS unit will be damaged if only the static line is used.

Mine is plumbed with 'push-lock' connectors. To test, I hook a line that’s split into 3 branches. It’s not too tough to disconnect and reconnect the lines. I thought about plumbing in valves and tee fittings, to allow a permanent test port. I decided against that, because of the number of additional connections and all the leak possibilities that would add.

Bill

Comment

Working...
    X