Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bearhawk Yahoo Group deleted - All Yahoo Groups deleted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearhawk Yahoo Group deleted - All Yahoo Groups deleted

Hi everyone....hope you are all weathering the winter nicely....or spring as the case may be...

I was looking up information on Yahoo Groups on some old aviation sites, Yahoo did a final complete delete of all yahoo groups as of the end of January 2020 .

Times change.

It is a little sad to see what is essentially a complete library of information deleted. not just the bearhawk group but all of the other groups gone as well..

Yahoo groups joins Geocites, myspace...ect as information blackholes....

my suggestion to help future builders is try to post important information here. .i know there is a Facebook group and other places. But good information has its best chance of lasting through time if its posted here....but with that said Archive.org is not copying this site either....

another suggestion would be to offer a digital copy of this website for sale..updated yearly..

hope you are all having good luck with your projects...

This site started when Yahoo made their first big move in this direction, and we knew that our own hosted content was the only path towards long-term reliability. While nothing is completely immune to destruction, this is the best and most secure path we know of. Instead of being a "free" service like Yahoo was, we pay a very reputable hosting company to keep the data. The initial funding was from Mark, and the ongoing funding comes primarily from Beartracks subscriptions.

While it is true that Yahoo deleted the data, I also have all of those messages from all of the groups that I knew of downloaded in an archive, and it is on the to-do list to get them back out into the world. The big hold-up is that for many years the main Bearhawk group was so far off-topic that the good topics are scattered between the bad ones, and I don't know of any good way to weed them out other than manually. And I'm not really in a position to do that these days. Another reason this is on the back burner is that back in the fall when Yahoo was winding down, all of the experts who knew how to crunch the archive were swamped by the many groups trying to do the same thing. I've been waiting for that backlog to work through, also hoping that more effective conversion tools will have been created in the coming months.

Comment

• johwiltb
      johwiltb commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Jared, just wanted to give you a shoutout for all the awesome work you've done for this community. Between the info posted here and the BearTracks work, the store with the awesome calendars and mugs (of which I'm drinking out of one right now) and other things, and everything else, I truly appreciate your contribution to such an awesome community. I just want you to know that at least from me, your hard work does not go unnoticed and is very much appreciated! Thanks! I'll wipe the brown off my nose now
Working...
X