Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Bearhawk Lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bearhawk Lineup

I count seven Bearhawk models:

Bearhawk
    Patrol
    LSA
    Bravo
    Companion
    Ultralight

Bob and team are unstoppable.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Pretty incredible! I've been going back and forth trying to decide between the Bravo, LSA or wait for the Ultralight. I think the Bravo will happen at some point in my life, but I think the ultralight will be a good first aircraft build for me. Plus I am betting the design will be 10X better than any other ultralight out there. Can't wait!

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
      I count seven Bearhawk models:

Bearhawk
      Patrol
      LSA
      Bravo
      Companion
      Ultralight

Bob and team are unstoppable.
      Maybe it's been done before....is there a list of Bearhawk line up ...but showing what plane shares what with each other....ie....the Bearhawk 5 and Bearhawk 4 place share same wing....

Comment

The history of the line up is pretty well documented in Beartracks, which is the official quarterly newsletter starting in 1996.

-The Four Place was just called "Bearhawk." It does not have a Riblett wing.
        -The Patrol was first mentioned in Beartracks in September 2002 Beartracks. It has the Riblett Wing airfoil now shared with the Bravo, Companion, and 5.
        -In July 2008, the Patrol was being tested as an LSA platform.
        -The LSA as its own design was mentioned in Q3 2012 as being 728 pounds. It has a different Riblett airfoil than the Patrol that is better suited for low speed with no flaps.
        -The Bravo was introduced in July, 2016. It uses the same Riblett airfoil shape as Patrol, but is not the same exact wing. Its stronger. It shares the same Fuselage shape of the original Four Place, but has upgrades to lighten things up that the Patrol a bit.
        -The Companion can be thought of as a side by side Patrol, or a two place light weight Model A designed around a four cylinder Lycoming engine. If its considered Model A fuselage with modifications to remove weight and complexity your pretty close.
        -The 5 has the same Riblett Airfoil shape as the Patrol, with a longer and wider fuselage and can accommodate larger heavier engine installations than the Bravo.

Don't assume that the factory makes all wings the same for all models. They Don't. A Patrol wing is different than a Companion wing, although they have vast similarities like airfoil shape.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
          Mark Goldberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Your summary is 99% correct Brooks. The only correction is that the Companion is not really a lightweight Model A fuselage. It has all the Model B features with a couple Patrol features used also. Bob is still playing around with the fuselage tubing layout of the Companion. But very minor revisions to save some additional weight. As were all know - Bob takes any weight savings VERY seriously. Mark

Originally posted by Bcone1381 View Post
        The history of the line up is pretty well documented in Beartracks, which is the official quarterly newsletter starting in 1996.

-The Four Place was just called "Bearhawk." It does not have a Riblett wing.
        -The Patrol was first mentioned in Beartracks in September 2002 Beartracks. It has the Riblett Wing airfoil now shared with the Bravo, Companion, and 5.
        -In July 2008, the Patrol was being tested as an LSA platform.
        -The LSA as its own design was mentioned in Q3 2012 as being 728 pounds. It has a different Riblett airfoil than the Patrol that is better suited for low speed with no flaps.
        -The Bravo was introduced in July, 2016. It uses the same Riblett airfoil shape as Patrol, but is not the same exact wing. Its stronger. It shares the same Fuselage shape of the original Four Place, but has upgrades to lighten things up that the Patrol a bit.
        -The Companion can be thought of as a side by side Patrol, or a two place light weight Model A designed around a four cylinder Lycoming engine. If its considered Model A fuselage with modifications to remove weight and complexity your pretty close.
        -The 5 has the same Riblett Airfoil shape as the Patrol, with a longer and wider fuselage and can accommodate larger heavier engine installations than the Bravo.

Don't assume that the factory makes all wings the same for all models. They Don't. A Patrol wing is different than a Companion wing, although they have vast similarities like airfoil shape.
        I’m working on the 4 place bravo...
        I own all the beartracks and I still get a little mixed up when I’m reading posts in other threads of what plane is what...a quick reference is very handy

thankyou for taking time to make a detailed post

with the launch of a new model there is press and new faces come looking

i was thinking it would be nice for new people to see the line up detailed so they could get up to speed on what we are talking about on the forum

Last edited by way_up_north; 07-06-2020, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X