Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Design ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Design ?

Good evening guys. I was looking at the plans built Bearhawk 4 place listed in the for sale forum and wanted to ask and see if you guys may answer some questions.
    He says it's Bob's original design. Does the original design have the large cargo doors ? If not, can they be added without changing any design strength?
    Also, i'm sure the airfoil is the A design. Would this be a deal killer or does the BearHawk fly good with either airfoil?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mark

If it does not have the rear door it can easily be added if the plane has not been covered. It can still be added if the plane is covered but that will be a little more work. The wing design is a non issue. The new wing is a little better compromise but there are only a few pilots who will fly close to the limits of either wing plan form. The B wing is a little faster in cruise but they both fly very well. You should contact the owner and ask if the plane has the baggage door. You may be surprised to find that you will not have to make that change. You should take the time to go see a factory built kit. This will give you a base line of comparison between the plans built and the kit built. The B main spar is also a little deeper than the A model.

Comment

Mark,

Both A's and B's are good aircraft, B's being improved here and there due to things Bob and the Builders learned over time.

The B-Model has a thicker airfoil that pulls the top of the door frame down slightly. It is a faster cruise airfoil and the stall speed from what I've read is slightly slower.
      There are a number of "mods" done to the fuselage from an "A" to a "B"...the cargo door doesn't move any of the frames, just cuts and adds structure because of the hole. You would need to compare to a set of B model plans (might be a B model in your area).
      The Gear Shock struts have gone through a couple changes...easy to retrofit.
      B model uses a "stinger" tail wheel mount...easily upgrade from the A model leaf spring tail mount.
      Bottom line an A can be upgraded all the way to a B but you will need plans for your airworthiness approval but depending on how much work has already been done.

You should try and see the airplane, looking at the quality of the work, after all your butt will be in it! I think it was Whee that said his airframe was slightly shorter than the plans call out...these are things to look for. He said he has plans...so just verify a couple dimensions.

Where was the 4130 tube sourced? How was it welded? Simple questions and a conversation with the builder will resolve everything you need to make the choice.

It basically comes down to options you want, workmanship and price. Compare what Mark Goldberg at Bearhawk Aircraft can build you. His price on parts is extremely competitive depending on your shop, tools and skills. Mark's crew can build you a bare fuselage or a whole kit and anything in between. Either way you go will take some research and depending on what you want...you can't go wrong either way.

Andy

Comment

• svyolo
        svyolo commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to second the comment about buying parts for Bearhawk Aircraft. Very good quality and a very good deal. If you don't know how to weld or machine, buy it from Mark. Don't like aluminum work, buy it from Mark.

If I was scratch building I would still buy a tubing kit, rib and spar kit, and all the machined steel parts.
    Working...
    X