Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autopilot success

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autopilot success

IMG_1701[707].jpg I installed an old Trutrak ADI Pilot II in my patrol primarily for the backup horizon. I did not have high hopes for the autopilot due to adverse yaw, and it did not work well at all. I built a little interconnect for the rudder that I can engage when needed. The autopilot now works very well and with the interconnect engaged, I can fly with my feet only if I want to. The entire installation weighs only 8 oz, a lot less than third servo.

That's pretty clever, does it have the quick release on both sides? Do you have any sense of the ratios? How much rudder is added with how much aileron?

Comment

• jim.mclaughlin924
      jim.mclaughlin924 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just needed on one side. I used shock cord for rudder pedal springs so direct connection when left turn and the spring on the right moves the rudder when the left pedal is pushed back. I just eyeballed the rudder pedal and stick movement when I was flying and decided to make both arms the same length which seems good, Never seems to be off by more than half a ball, I could probably optimize it, but it works pretty well as is.

Is there any danger if you left it engaged while landing?

Comment

• jim.mclaughlin924
      jim.mclaughlin924 commented
      Editing a comment
      I can overpower it, but it feels so odd when hand flying that it would be hard to forget about it.
Working...
X