Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Baffles sealing front of engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baffles sealing front of engine

I am modifying baffles off a core, they are in very good shape but came off a 180 hp 172 and I'm wondering if there is a good way to get a seal in front of the engine or is this an area of compromise. This section of the baffles are missing.

This is how Vans designed the front baffle.
    Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 9.00.36 PM.png

This is from a Cessna 172, they seal the cowl from below along the front of the bottom cowl. The photo is taken from above looking down into the lower cowl by the left front cylinder (Cylinder number 2 ) You might be missing these parts.
    IMG_7322.png
    Last edited by jaredyates; 08-26-2022, 09:56 AM.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Brooks,
      Thanks for the pics, both of these seem to have more room between the cylinder and the front of the nose bowl than my Patrol, the outboard side of the intake on cylinder 1 isn't much more than 3" from cylinder to outside the nose bowl. The angle on the ramp of the rv baffles looks subtle mine seem much steeper, I don't think I have the room to set up similar to the Cessna.
      Working through it.
      Thanks,
      Bill
      Last edited by jaredyates; 08-26-2022, 09:56 AM. Reason: bad hashtag link parsing, sorry about that

Comment

• Bcone1381
        Bcone1381 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the vans baffle kit. I installed most of the baffling and aligned things with the kit's nose bowl that is made for a 14" spinner before I set the firewall forward work aside. The baffle for cylinder number 1 is steeper than that RV photo, but not bad. The baffle over the front of the case gives me no concern.
    Working...
    X