Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brushing EkoPrime?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brushing EkoPrime?

I want to prime my fuselage, but the weather is not conducive at all to say the least and having sprayed EkoPrime on the tail feathers inside my shop, I can say that will never happen again. The overspray goes everywhere and you can't blow it off. Big mistake. So now I'm thinking about brushing or rolling the primer on since EkoPrime is reportedly easy to sand. Has anyone tried this? recommendations? Thanks!

EkoPrime is a Stewarts Covering System primer. Its a single Part water based primer. Its used for Steel Corrosion prevention and Fabric prior to paint.

What are you priming? Steel or Fabric?

How will you paint? Will not Eko Poly present the same problem?

I sense a paint booth built out of 2x2 lumber covered with 4 mil plastic with a exhaust fan and a filtered intake is your answer to a nice finish for more than just Ekoprime. BUilding It might save time over sanding. Spaying outside when the weather is right is next and spring time is best to avoid bug contamination.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Brooks, I'm using it over my fabric covered fuselage. I know I'll have to spray the EkoPoly and I know that you don't have to prime over EkoFill, but I want to do that to smooth the final finish. I may just have to wait for the weather to calm down in a couple of months...I hate painting with a passion

Comment

I thought the only reason to use Ekoprime over Ekofill was to spray white ekoprime before a lighter topcoat like yellow etc. I have not found ekoprime particularly easy to sand. Any runs I got spraying ekoprime on aluminum where very hard to sand out, fortunately there weren't many. Having said that, I f'ound ekoprime very easy to use and get a nice finish that didn't require much sanding at all before the top coat. I mostly used red scotch brite. My recommendation would be another coat or 2 of ekofill which I think sands easier. You might get Andy's opinion. He has always been very helpful anytime I called.
        Last edited by rodsmith; 04-20-2023, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• Mark Dickens
          Mark Dickens commented
          Editing a comment
          In addition to using the white for lighter colors, Andy Humphrey mentions (in a youtube video) that it can be used to smooth the finish and that it is easier to sand than the ekofill. I may try a test panel and see what I get

You will see your paint job every time you fly. It is a reflection of you to your passengers.

1) Post this question on the Supercub.org forum and look for a "Hardtail" to answer. He is the Stewarts expert and teaches covering classes. I will PM you. Maybe I can help connect you two.

2) I sprayed EkoPrime to cover the dark gray EkoFil prior to painting white color. That is my experience base. I had success and I had never picked up a spray gun prior to this task

3) Painting can be a joy. It will never be a joy for anyone without the right tools.

4) A paint booth built right will help make the paint project enjoyable. All tools that lead to outstanding outcomes will turn the feelings of struggle into success and that brings joy to building.

Don't paint without the right tools and procedures. You'll spend the same $ and end up with risk of a poor result. Lost value of a poor paint job is your highest cost that comes when you sell you craft.
        Last edited by Bcone1381; 04-20-2023, 10:28 AM.
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

• Mark Dickens
          Mark Dickens commented
          Editing a comment
          Agree...I'll wait to spray. Getting workshop fever here and need to calm down and little!

I tried brushing Ekoprime on some small parts that i didn't feel like setting up the spray gun for. It turned out good enough for parts that you're not going to see up close in the future but I wouldn't want to do it anywhere that's going to be in plain sight. The ekoprime doesn't flow out very well so you'll end with ridges and thin spots that are hard to hide. It does sand better than ekofill but expect to do a lot of sanding if you want the paint finish to be smooth.
        4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
        IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

• Mark Dickens
          Mark Dickens commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks...exactly the feedback I was looking for...I'll skip it and wait until I can spray
      Working...
      X