Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Strut Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BradW1062 One thing to consider, putting at least one of the landing gear on a greased plate allows it to find its own happy resting place. It won't do so if sitting on the ground, even when loaded. The gear width can vary significantly depending on whether the aircraft has been pushed rear wards, forwards, turned, or has a load on it. By sitting the wheels on a greased plate, then loading to 2500 lbs, you can obtain a more accurate measurement to compare with the recommended 1.38" extension.

Note: Photo for illustration purposes only, it clearly shows the undercarriage design of an inferior aircraft

ABCA0E2B-0B8C-4C8E-9532-71204AE70812.jpg

Nev Bailey
    Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
    YouTube - Build and flying channel
    Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

I was putting together another video and noticed that the under-the-belly camera shot showed the landing gear action during the landing gear ground roll. I've attached a short 20 second clip here. You can see the gear hanging in its unloaded position prior to touchdown with the wheels cantered inwards. On touchdown the gear legs react to the normal bumps by splaying apart. As the aircraft slows and more weight comes on the wheels, the gear legs are further apart with the wheels closer to vertical at the end of the shot. Landing weight was about 2100 lbs, so I would expect to see the wheels even more vertical at MLW.

Last edited by Nev; 03-23-2024, 12:20 AM.
      Nev Bailey
      Christchurch, NZ

BearhawkBlog.com - Safety & Maintenance Notes
      YouTube - Build and flying channel
      Builders Log - We build planes

Comment

Working...
      X