Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooling Calculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling Calculations

I found this old spreadsheet that I had been searching for that was developed for Sport Aviation Magazine in 2003 by Neal Willford. It calculates oil cooler sizing, inlet and out cowl areas required based on user inputs including HP, TAS, Altitude, baffle vs plenum, inlet/outlet air ratio assumptions, etc. As is usual, the devil is in the details. I dont know the assumptions. I thought I would share in case one you can enlighten. I am wondering if one uses this do you end up with 350 degree CHT temps or 460 degree CHT temps. Do you end up with 190 degree oil or 240 degree oil. Regardless there is some good knowledge within it. For instance the biggest factor is whether you have standard cowl baffling or a doghouse style baffle (does not include a plenum option but it would be less leakage that the doghouse style and you have the option of using a lower leakage factor).

Was wondering if someone could put in their flying Bearhawks data and see how the calculated areas compare to what you have and tell us what your CHT/Oil temps are. I did this exercise for a Lancair IV and I have exactly the outlet area but too much inlet area and my CHT's would be below 300 degree absent intervention. Intervention in my case was increasing my leak rate intentionally to bring my CHT's above 300 in cruise (as in I have a 4 inch hole in my baffling now with a butterfly valve to allow cooling air to bypass the engine). A better solution is to reduce the inlet area but that would require repainting and I still remember the trauma of painting it 10 years ago.

One little typo, I think, in the spreadsheet is "HP" for the altitude input. It works if you put altitude but not HP in that box.
    Attached Files

A very nice piece of work.

I guess my main question is - are the final areas for intake and exit for the oil cooler, or for engine cooling airflow.

It took some getting my head around, and it would be easy to get the wrong answer! It would take hours to fully digest all this information and references, which I think is required reading to use the spreadsheet properly. I had a really good go at it, but without doing all the research, I couldn't get sensible numbers I was confident in.​

Overall, I fear this is too technical for general use. Some of the most important (highly sensitive) inputs like Vi/Vo (airspeed drop across the oil cooler) are near impossible to measure even with a fully completed aircraft.​ Most people cannot estimate this stuff, it's not intuitive. So the user has to make some big assumptions. If you get those assumptions wrong then the answers can be total garbage (e.g. if we assume Vi/Vo = 0.4 for instance, then oil cooler air intake would be 50% larger area than is practically required.)

Comment

• dramsey
      dramsey commented
      Editing a comment
      i believe the final exit area is that required for the combined engine/oil cooler flows. the last line however is to show you what the drag would be if you picked an outlet area different than the calculated

Anyone happen to know what document this refers to?

"P&W Installation Handbook"

There are many Pratt & Whitney installation handbooks...

The original article is Cool It! from Aug '03 Sport Aviation:

Cool It!.png
    Last edited by unixxx; 12-12-2023, 07:43 PM.
    Model 5 #5098, California

Comment

• dramsey
      dramsey commented
      Editing a comment
      unfortunately i dont know. I went through the sport aviation archives trying to find the actual article. I apparently found the spreadsheet a decade ago and pigion holed it. rediscovered it this weekend while cleaning off an old thumb drive. Really wish I had the accompanying article.

• unixxx
      unixxx commented
      Editing a comment
      dramsey, I updated my post with the article reference

• dramsey
      dramsey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you unixxx. I had been searching by the author. Once you shared the title it was easy to find it. Here is the link. https://www.eaa.org/specialusecompon...a-2e42f20d260c

Have to be an EAA member to access I believe.
Working...
X