Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sniffle valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniffle valve

I would like the opinion of those with horizontal induction and sniffle valves. I am debating whether to cut a hole in the cowling and use a hose for it to drain outside, or just let it drain inside the cowling. I don't really know how much fuel typically drains out after shutdown. Also for those looking for a sniffle valve, before Van's troubles they were selling the Lycoming part for $150. I got one from Airflow Performance for $35.

I've got the Airflow Performance valves as well. I've got three of them so I was very happy to find a cheaper option than the Lycoming part. I used 3003 Alu tubing and AN flare fittings to join all three sniffle valves together and routed them aft to drain out of the cowling beside my crankcase vent.

I've got FI so there wouldn't normally be any fuel in the intake tubes at shutdown. If the engine gets flooded its a different story. Quite a bit of fuel can flow from those lines. I wouldn't want that in my cowling. On the ground under the plane near the exhaust isn't great either but it's better than inside.
    4-Place QB kit #111. First flight May 2022.
    IO-470 - 260hp

Comment

• rodsmith
      rodsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      Did your plenum have 3 drilled and tapped holes to mount the valves or did you add some. My cold air induction has the drain in the center which works fine for tricycle gear, it would accumulate a fair amount of fuel before draining. I've considered drilling and tapping another hole at the rear for mounting the sniffle valve.

• TimTall
      TimTall commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a Continental so not a plenum. Just intake runners that drop down from throttle body and then up to the cylinders forming a low spot about 24" long. There's 1/8npt holes in bosses in the lowest spots.
Working...
X