Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Other Quickbuild Kits vs. 5 "Advanced" Quick Build Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Quickbuild Kits vs. 5 "Advanced" Quick Build Kit

Hey folks - I've been inching closer and closer to pulling the trigger (hopefully finishing house hunting soon, which is the green light once I have a workspace). It looks like some specific effort went into making an option for the Model 5 to have a more vans style "everything you need but rubber and leather" with the Advanced Quickbuild Kit.

So with a Patrol Quickbuild (seemingly without the "everything but rubber and leather") coming in at $68,000, accounting for what might be close to $10k in self-sourced hardware, that means the difference between quickbuild and hardware between the patrol and Model 5 is only $14k.

Is the Model 5 advanced quickbuild just that much of a banging deal, or am I missing something obvious here? I'm a little surprised the difference between a 2 seater and a 6 seater only being 14k (and that 14k including all of the hardware without the builder having to source it).

Also I should note I know it doesn't include engine, prop, tires, etc. Just trying to get the picture on kit + hardware.

Hope everyone has had a great kick off to the new year!

Somewhat over simplified, but except for a few more seats, the Five is just a stretched Patrol (both length and width) with some heavier gauge metal. They have (mostly) all the same parts. So... yeah, I'd expect a Patrol to cost a significant fraction of what a Five costs. If doing doing an apples to apples comparison of engines, power for a Five will cost more.

Comment

• svyolo
      svyolo commented
      Editing a comment
      Large corporations differentiate stuff much more based on price. I think Mark's modus operandi is much better. Better "marketers" will try to maximize products they make more profits on. I don't think Mark cares if he sells more Patrols or 5's. I think you could just about price type of aircraft by empty weight. I would bet a Patrol kit price vs Model 5 price closely correlates to weight.

That's a good point, I guess in reality it's all the same hardware just a few longer pieces (obviously a gross oversimplification). That makes sense.

Comment

Working...
    X