Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doors Open?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doors Open?

Quick Question,
    I do some fairly slow flying in a pretty hot environment and am wondering if its generally considered ok to fly with the doors open in the 4 place Bearhawk. With out stating the obvious about bits and pieces flying around in the cabin. I'm interested to know if the door opening up under the wing will alter the airflow enough, to cause undesirable flight characteristics' with stall or anything. It would be really nice to fly up our beautiful coast with a "breeze" blowing through.
    Best Andrew

Airplane behaves just fine with windows open.
    Personally I have never found sitting in a tornado simulator to be a positive experience.
    Kevin D
    KCHD

Comment

I fly my Five with the windows open when I'm below 90 Kts. Sightseeing at 70kts with the windows open is real nice. At faster speeds the wind is annoying. At above 100kts its actually difficult to reach out and grab the handle to close the window haha. But at high speed the 4 Vista Vents I have installed in the windows blow right in our faces so it's easy to stay cool.

Comment

A nice hard slip will close those windows right up.

Comment

It works fine with the *windows* open, as designed by Bob. Limit your airspeed to around 85kts or so, or they can get into a destructive oscillation. If the plastic flew out, it could cause serious damage to the tail / potentially end your flight. Make sure yours are built for it.

Low and kinda slow, on a hot summer's day - it's a delight. The slower the better. At 7,000ft on a winter's morning when a passenger bumps the window open, not so much fun.

Comment

Working...
          X