Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wing Ribs Lightening Hole Diameters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing Ribs Lightening Hole Diameters

Sorry for posting so many questions. I'm a new builder and trying to gain as much knowledge as I can BEFORE I start working on the project. I've noticed that the plans do not include diameters for any of the lightening holes in the wing ribs. How do I determine what size to make them? If I make them too big, I suspect I will jeopardize structural integrity of the rib. Too small and the part then becomes heavier than designed. It seems like this would have been a simple measurement to include in the drawings but for the life of me, I can't find it.

I don't think you'll find the measurement. I measured the lightening holes on the plans for the Patrol and then doubled it to get the actual size of the lightening hole (since the drawing was 1/2 scale). I assume it's similar for the LSA.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks. I'll give that a try. At the bottom of my page 3 rib drawing it says, "SCALE DRAWING FOR DIMENSION NOT SHOWN". I think that was throwing me off. However, I do see the scale1=2 in the lower right corner. Still getting used to reading and interpreting plans. Hope my LSA doesnt end up the size of a Sea Fury!

Comment

Originally posted by markcr View Post
        Thanks. I'll give that a try. At the bottom of my page 3 rib drawing it says, "SCALE DRAWING FOR DIMENSION NOT SHOWN". I think that was throwing me off. However, I do see the scale1=2 in the lower right corner. Still getting used to reading and interpreting plans. Hope my LSA doesnt end up the size of a Sea Fury!
        Make sure you pick up a set of engineering scales. they make reading the scalled drawings much easier.
        Amazon.com - Pro Art 12-Inch Engineering Triangular Scale - Engineering Paper
        John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

You might look at a flexible scale:

There are smaller sizes too. This ruler has fractions and decimal sides. I found it useful when laying out the locations for rivets on the rib flanges (1.5" on a patrol). Since it is flexible , you can just lay it on flange and bend it around form marking rivets.

Some of Bob's dimensions are in fractions, and some are in decimal.
          Last edited by sjt; 10-08-2015, 09:08 AM.
          Stan
          Austin Tx

Comment

Since the scale is 1:2, I just put a compass across the diameter of the drawn holes as that was the radius of the finished holes.

Comment

Thanks for all the good input. I'm getting much better at deciphering measurements off the plans now. Typical first time builder stuff. Oh, and whover it was who tipped me off to Aircraft Spruce's option to roll the aluminum, thank you SO much. My shipping ended up being $35 instead of $165! This week I've been getting my router table built and am just about ready to actually cut some ribs!

Comment

On the Patrol, the 1:10 main spar plans sheet notes 5" typical, but the detail at 1:2 shows a 5.5" diameter... we just went with 5" unless otherwise noted for main spar.

Comment

Working...
              X