Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the encouragement Bill, I found another problem after I mocked up the horizontal stab and elevators. It seems that if the trim tab horns are placed per the plans they are on center line with the elevator horns. So they will have to be offset to one side or the other so they don;t interfere with the elevator horns. I discussed it with Btaz and he encountered the same problem. He used a single torque tube for both trim tab horns and offset the trim tab horn to one side. I will do something similar.

Comment

Was great speaking with you earlier, Dave! feel free to call if you need more clarification regarding how I filled in some of the blanks.

Just to clarify(in pictures) for future reference.

I made the torque tubes for the trim tab arms protrude the same amount past the innermost horizontal stabilizer rib(roughly 1/2") and then had a single tube that bridged them together and bolted in into the torque tubes.

I made a single bell crank to the same outline but of thicker material than shown in the plans and slid it over this center tube. I welded some doublers on the end of the bell crank to bring it out to fit the ID of the trim cable shackle.

Once the horizontal stabilizers, elevators, and the push /pull tube from the stick was installed, I positioned the bell crank on this center tube to the most advantageous position for clearance on the push/pull tube and upper longerons as well as angle for operation. Only at that point did I weld in place. Final cable shackle attachment was done with clevis pins instead of bolts.

Regarding the push/pull tube, UPS can only ship 8' lengths while the tube needed to be around 9'. I spoke with Bob and he gave me the go ahead to use a smaller OD tube(slip fit inside the called out push/pull tube using AC43 as guidance) to get the required length. This reduction in diameter was also advantageous to get the required clearances in this area.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Thanks for the info Bard it was very helpful. Here are some photos of where I am presently in the installation of the horizontal stab and elevators. I am now in the process of getting the elevators fitted to the horizontal stab and getting the elevator horn set. The welds are not very pretty but they are solid After cutting the upper longeron tubes from the tail post I had to slip tubes over them to extend them to make the long enough to reach the tail post, it was the only way I could figure out how to get the space I needed between the longerons for the elevator hour to be able to move without interference from the longerons. The extensions were installed per AC43.13, so I believe they are safe.
        This gallery has 10 photos.

Comment

Are you showing the final spacers that go between the elevator horns? They look thicker then I remember them......

Per the plans, there is only supposed to be 1/4" between them and it looks like you have about 1/2"

Comment

Thanks for the info Bard it was very helpful. Here are some photos of where I am presently in the installation of the horizontal stab and elevators. I am now in the process of getting the elevators fitted to the horizontal stab and getting the elevator horn set. The welds are not very pretty but they are solid After cutting the upper longeron tubes from the tail post I had to slip tubes over them to extend them to make the long enough to reach the tail post, it was the only way I could figure out how to get the space I needed between the longerons for the elevator hour to be able to move without interference from the longerons. The extensions were installed per AC43.13, so I believe they are safe.

Comment

Thanks Brad, the plans were not very clear on that but I will remove one of the spacers and see how things fit im sure it will improve.

Comment

Hi Guys,
                After some good council and advise from you guys in this site I am going to repair the mess on the upper longerons you see in my last pictures. I consider myself a student and I am learning. I believe the smartest thing any student can do is to listen to the advise of people you have been there, done that and have the t-shirt. When I get it fixed I will post new pictures. I welcome any constructive criticism because I have a lot to learn about welding and several other things in building this airplane. I am really glad I found this site because of all who are willing to share their expertise.I hope you guys will continue to keep me on the straight and narrow path to a successful build. Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far.

Comment

Glad to hear you have this hurdle worked out and know how to move forward.

That is the nice thing about steel tube fuselages, it is pretty well documented how to rework one section without structural impact questions.

The "learning aspect" of building from plans isn't for the faint of heart.......
                  Last edited by BTAZ; 10-07-2017, 10:21 PM.

Comment

dats rite!!!!

Comment

Hi Guys, here are the latest pics and my repair. I cut the top longerons and replaced them I also did a welding test to make sure my welds are strong, they are just not very pretty so I call them gorilla welds because the are ugly but strong. Feel free to comment as I have said I will always accept constructive criticism,
                      This gallery has 10 photos.

Comment

HI Guys, I have progress to report, today I got all the bracketry fitted and welded for my horizontal stab and here are some pictures hope you like them.
                        This gallery has 8 photos.

Comment

I bet it feels good to be over that hurdle!

Comment

Oh yeah, now on to the tail wires and struts!!!

Comment

Hi Guys,
                              Still working on the tail feathers. I am at this point trying to get the tail wires fitted. The top tail wires are a little too long so Im afraid i'm going to have to cut them. Not too happy about having to cut a $150 tail wire but I really don't have a choice if I am going to use them. Btaz was asking how long they were so I have pictures enclosed with them lying on a ruler. I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!

David Swann
                              This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

I have a question for anyone who would like to offer an answer, What is the wisdom about chasing rolled threads with a die? Do it or don't?

Comment

Working...
                                X