Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DavzLSA progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi BTAZ I noticed you adjuster starts its downward angle more soon than mine does.

Comment

Hard to tell from the photo, but the strut angle looks similar. And my fitting probably can start its bend sooner since it is a single forged piece instead of a welded assembly.

But my end is also bit different than yours in that the flat that attaches to the stabilizer is offset from the fitting center line where yours is centered.

You will need to make sure your fitting isn't going to interfere with the fabric covering.
      Last edited by BTAZ; 01-08-2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

If it does Ill adjust it, but im a long way from covering at this point Im sure there will need to be a million tweaks before this rodeo is over.

Comment

Just grab a 1" strip of thin aluminum long enough to bridge across a couple ribs and slide it around to check clearances.

And I have faith you (presuming you keep your head down on the project) too will look up one day and have that "Suddenly its done" moment.
          Last edited by BTAZ; 01-08-2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement Brad.

Comment

Hi Guys More progress to report, finally got the control horns welded to the elevators and got that plate the elevators bearing attach t welded to the rear horizontal stab tube. It turned out pretty good, I have more than enough range of motion in the elevators without any interference. I still need to weld the stops in on the up and the down. I have over 40 degrees of motion in both directions.Looking forward now to getting the trim tab system and working.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 7 photos.

Comment

• BTAZ
                BTAZ commented
                Editing a comment
                Dave

It might be an illusion, but it looks like the edge distance in the control horn for the bottom bolt is on the minimal side.

You will probably want to finish your control sticks/torque tube and get the elevator push/pull tubes in place before you finish off the trim as there is minimal clearance between the trim belcrank and the push/pull tube so some adjustment may be required.

HI Brad, Thanks for the comment, I glad you mentioned that and I will check that clearance, I had not given it much thought. I was just too excited about getting the horns welded on and have the elevators go up and down smoothly. Yes it does not take much to get me excited when it come to my airplane.

Comment

also I plan on getting rid of those big nylon lock nuts and replacing them with the smaller castellated nuts with cotter pins.

Comment

• BTAZ
                  BTAZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Once the spacers are in place then those bolts are tightened and "non rotational" so a lock nut would be appropriate. Since everything is fully in shear, you can use a thin lock nut to help with clearance.

And your excitement is well deserved!

Progress to report today, built my push pull tube for the elevators, got the down stop for the elevators welded in, for 20 down and 30 up and I am able to remove the elevators still, That was a struggle but I finally figure out the secret combinations to getting them out after talking to BTAZ. Also I built the front rudder pedals. To attach the rod end bearings to the end of the tube I turned down an aluminum plug for each end of the tube and drilled and tapped them for the rod end bearing. Aah la RV4 style. I plan to bolt these plugs in to the tubes. Ill have pictures when I get it all installed.

Comment

Dave

Great to see your progress and glad to hear our chat was worthwhile.

Comment

Hi Guys, more progress today. I know it really does not look like progress but it seems like the more that gets done it means that much more to do. Everything that gets done needs to be adjusted and tested so really that's what Ive been doing. An example is the push pull for the elevator control. I bolted in the plugs I made but before that I had to adjust the length of the tube, so I ended up cutting it about 4 times or 5 times just cutting it a little at a time to get the length just right, that took most of the day. Then just for fun I bolted the rudder on to see how it was going to act with the elevators. It did OK but I had to drill the holes in the hinges to 1/4 inch as called for in the plans. Then I needed to bolt in the tail wheel control horn. At first I bolted it in backward and did not discover this until I bolted the rudder back on the the vert stab. So I took it back off and re did it. Put it back on now everything works great. Getting more than the 30 degree swing on the rudder in both directions. Just need to weld on the stops now. So with the tail feathers well on the way I have started making the gear leg attach weldments. I cheated on the gear legs though, I bought a set from Mark. I just did not have the mental stability to deal with all those funky angles. So thanks Mark for helping me to remain sane. Here are more pictures and please don't freak out over the nasty looking welds, I've tested them they are strong just not very photogenic kind of like me.
                    This gallery has 8 photos.
                    Last edited by davzLSA; 01-19-2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• BTAZ
                      BTAZ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Looks good!

I see you were able to make the entire push/pull tube out of the 7/8x .028". I think I mentioned that I wanted to avoid a truck shipment so got Bob's blessing to use an 8' piece of the 7/8" extended(per Ac 43 13) with a piece of 3/4 x .035" as required(roughly needed an extra foot). This also bought be a bit more room for my trim tab horn as it is fairly tight clearance between it and the push/pull tube. Keep this in mind if you run into clearance challenges.

HI Brad, that smaller diameter tube at the elevator control horn made a difference in the amount of clearance between the horn and the top longeron. I think there will be plenty of space for the trim tab belcrank.

Comment

more progress today, started making the gear leg attach hardware. Got all pieces made just need to get them bent up. Im making a bending die from a steel bar as I saw on this forum, dont remember who was doing it but I thought it was a great idea. It should make for some nice looking parts.

Comment

HI Guys more progress today. Spent most pf the day making a bending mandrel for some of the landing gear brackets. I still need to make more and remake some I messed up and bent wrong. The mill really came in handy making that bending mandrel. I think it would be very difficult to scratch build without a lathe and mill.
                        This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

• BTAZ
                          BTAZ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Looking good!

For easier welding, you may want to weld on the little doubler tabs before bending, in particular on the pieces where the tabs end up on the inside of the bend.

HI Brad, I was thinking about that and I will probably do that because I need to remake some of these parts. Of the 3 parts that you see bent in the pictures one is bent the wrong way, needed a left and right part and the other is bent too far, it should only be bent 30 degrees and I have it bent 120 degrees. So ill have opportunity to fix my screw ups as soon as I get more .072 steel in.

Comment

• BTAZ
                          BTAZ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          IIRC with regards to the strut fittings, , I only bent the top two two strut attach fittings to the angle shown in the plans. Once I had them tacked to the fuselage, I bolted the lower strut straps to the top pieces and then bent them to fit the fuselage.

And I agree that it would be tough to scratch build without at least a small mill and lathe.
                      Working...
                      X