Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing Engines After Construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Engines After Construction

I'm currently looking for an engine for my LSA project and I have an opportunity to acquire a good A-75, but I would eventually like to build a "hot-rod" C-85 for the project. What would it take to install a C-85 on an LSA airframe that originally had an A-75 installed?

I can't think of anything. However , think twice about the C-85 case and its lack of through bolts without machine work ! Stinger

Comment

I would guess it would be fairly easy.

It is done all the time on Cubs, Champs, T-crafts etc. so I would suggest searching for experiences in one of those conversions for a heads up.

IIRC, Bob made this change on his LSA so you may want to just go to the source.

I know the Continental C75-0200 manual has dimensioned drawings in it and can be found for free online. I would guess the A65/75 manual could also be found and probably has dimensioned drawings as well to compare.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I've done that very conversion on a J-3 with no problems at all. I just didn't know if there was anything airframe specific that would have to be addressed. I appreciate the input.

Comment

One thing to think about is to plan ahead for the electrical and possibly other items if you plan to use a starter on the C-85. I welded tabs to my firewall tubing to mount the battery box, starter solenoid, and an oil cooler.

Comment

Working...
          X