Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trailing edge bend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailing edge bend

I have not been successful in searching for anything on the trailing edge fancy bend. I do not really have a method of doing that. Has anyone done it any differently?

Is the problem that you're not able to bend the trailing edge far enough? I presume that this is the trailing edge for your ailerons/flaps?

Aside from buying pre-made trailing edge material like this:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../trailedge.php

If you're bending you're own, you'll probably have to take the aluminum that's been initially bent *under* the foot of the brake and place it in *front* of the foot so that you can bent it further. Under the foot, you'll probably not be able to bend it that far. Sorry I can't find a photo that describes what I'm talking about here, but it's basically "squishing" the bend so that that sides are closer together.
    ​Christopher Owens, EAA #808438
    Project "Expedition"
    Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans #991
    Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans #P313
    Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

At the time I was building my wing I used hand seamers and very carefully made the joggle. Worked but wasn't much fun.

Later on, I purchased a bead roller set like this one(http://www.eastwood.com/bead-roller-...-mandrels.html) and modified it to be "useful". If you do a web search, you will find lots of different threads on upgrading it. One of the most important is to carefully rework/polish the dies so that they don't leave a mark on the material.

I would guess if I needed to do it again it would be my tool of choice. It definitely came in handy for a lot of tasks and I wish I would have gotten it earlier in the build.

Comment

• epapa
        epapa commented
        Editing a comment
        I have had one of those in my shop gathering dust for 25 years. I even forget what I bought it for but is was no fun to use and the results were not pretty. Thanks.

I expect I probably should have asked which "trailing edge" you were asking about.

Since the LSA doesn't have flaps, there is a "joggle" in the lower trailing edge wing skin. Forming this joggle is what I was talking about in my earlier post

For the aileron trailing edge, I bent up the general form at the same time I bent my spars. I closed the bend further by putting it in between a heavy door and the door jam on the hinge side and carefully closed the door as required.

Otherwise, I suspect you could adopt what Aircraft Spruce sells here http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../trailedge.php

Comment

Ah yes, that didn't even click in my brain, the lack of flaps on the LSA. I hadn't considered a joggle at all, on those surfaces. Makes sense, looking back.
        ​Christopher Owens, EAA #808438
        Project "Expedition"
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans #991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans #P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

As delivered, it isn't terribly useful.

With a bit of work to stiffen it, mount it, provide a fence, provide an easier way to turn the rollers instead of the crank provided, and polishing the dies, I found it quite useful.

I find that the case with a lot of the HF tools. They are a decent start but are a project unto themselves before they are useful.

Comment

Working...
          X