Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spacer bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacer bars

I'm fairly certain that the main spar requires 1/4 in. thick spacer bars in some locations. This is clearly indicated in the LSA plans in one place. Yet there is a cross-section detail in another place which shows two 1/8 bars stacked together where I think it should show a single 1/4 in. spacer bar. So, I just want to confirm that no one is stacking 1/8 bars. Probably I'm reading it wrong?
    Thanks!
    Screen Shot 2022-03-04 at 12.17.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-04 at 12.16.36 PM.png
    Frank Forney
    Englewood CO
    https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
    EAA Chapter 301

FWIW the Patrol plans show a 1/4 inch solid spacer, except at locations where different # cap strips at that location make it uneven, then it's two 1/8 spacers with the top one extending out. See attached.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

• Frank
      Frank commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Considering that the Patrol plans cross-section shows a 1/4 spacer and the LSA plans does not, would seem to indicate stacking 1/8 is the way to do it... and the 1/4 call out really only indicates the required thickness at that location... hmmm, it would make for easier fabrication...

All mine were 1/8" bars stacked as required.

Comment

• Frank
      Frank commented
      Editing a comment
      BTAZ thanks again for the photos and notes in your Wings document. There is a lot to study and consider.

Would somebody be able to tell me whether the factory LSA spars use any 1/4 in. spacer bars?
    Frank Forney
    Englewood CO
    https://eaabuilderslog.org?s=FranksLSA
    EAA Chapter 301

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
      Mark Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Frank, we use both 1/4" and 1/8" vertical bars as needed. Nothing wrong with stacking two 1/8" pieces if that is all you have on hand. Mark

• Frank
      Frank commented
      Editing a comment
      There ya go, that's what I'm talking about! THANKS Mark! ​​​​​​​
      Now just a little more thought and I can put in my order(s).

Use 1/4" bars if shown in the dwg. Fitting spacer bars is tedious, why fab more detail parts then necessary? Use net size extrusion matl available from Spruce. I machined all bars to net length on a mill.
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

Comment

• Frank
      Frank commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah that's what I'm gonna do. It seems to be my choice which way to go and you make a good point.

I made my spacer bars a nominal length and installed them first, then sandwiched the cap strips against them.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

Working...
    X