Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LSA skylight mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LSA skylight mods

Here are a few pics of my skylight and the modifications I made to hold the lexan. The rear receiver is a bit different from the plans but should be adequate. Its held on with 5 ccc32 pull rivets. The lexan is gray tint and 3mm (.118) thk. I shortened the rear standoff and re welded after forming the stringer to match the wing top. Also had to shorten the other standoffs.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by interstate al; 02-23-2019, 07:02 AM.

Thanks for sharing. There is a lot to learn in these four photos!
    Stephen B. Murphey
    Bearhawk LSA
    Building #L-089

Comment

It was suggested to me by a couple of builders that know way more than I do that my rear skylight receiver may be on the light side. I think it was .020 sheet metal. So this past summer I pulled it off and machined a pc of aluminum out to replace the sheet metal I originally had used. I had the aluminum on hand otherwise would have used soft .050 aluminum as suggested on the print.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 4 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by interstate al View Post
        It was suggested to me by a couple of builders that know way more than I do that my rear skylight receiver may be on the light side. I think it was .020 sheet metal. So this past summer I pulled it off and machined a pc of aluminum out to replace the sheet metal I originally had used. I had the aluminum on hand otherwise would have used soft .050 aluminum as suggested on the print.
        Thanks for posting this info, I'll be doing the skylight mod in the near future. Where did you source the tinted Lexan?

Comment

I actually purchased the lexan from a local glass shop. They brought it in cut to size on one if their larger orders. I'm sure any glass shop could do the same for you. I've also seen the same or similar product on ebay.

Comment

I purchased my Lexan form this guy on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/str/POP-DISPLAY...p2047675.l2563. He will cut to whatever size you need.
            Rob Caldwell
            Lake Norman Airpark (14A), North Carolina
            EAA Chapter 309
            Model B Quick Build Kit Serial # 11B-24B / 25B
            YouTube Channel: http://bearhawklife.video
            1st Flight May 18, 2021

Comment

I used an adhesive caulking (emphasis on adhesive) product that ACE Hardware sells call LEXAL when my bronze tinted lexan ran short on my RANS S-7 build. I was about 6" short of reaching the rear channel, but had several large scraps. So I made a lap joint using the scrap and used Lexal to make the bond. 12 years later it's still crystal clear and mechanically sound. I also used it where my plexi windshield joins the Lexan skylight, It's available in clear or white, caulk gun sizes or better the small tubes. It is officially rated for bonding all types of plastics, and not a half a** solution at all, great stuff!

Comment

Working...
              X