Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel line routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel line routing

I’m working on the LSA fuel lines now and have a question about routing in the wing root area. I notice most of the photos show planes routing both the front and rear tank line inboard of the fuselage cage rather than outboard. that is what is shown in several BearTracks articles. It seems preferable to go outboard if I have clearance, as it keeps the lines out of the cabin. Since the LSA doesn’t have flaps, I think I have plenty of clearance to run the rear line up the window frame then outboard of the fuselage tubing into the space between the wing root and the fuselage. In the front, i’m not sure yet, as I don’t have the windshield in place yet to check that clearance.

So my question is to those who considered or decided to route your lines outboard - what was your thinking and what challenges did you face? One possible challenge looks like making two 90 degree turns in a small space. another could be possible damage during wing install/ removal.

Very interested in others’ thought process.

Thanks

Wayne

I've never used on of these tubing benders. But I have wondered as I struggled with getting the fittings and flares and bends close to each other. This tool is not sized right but in is the genre of the kind that might help get two bends very close....like I said...I have no experience with this tool.

\https://www.autobodynow.com/products...liers-abn-3200
    Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 12.21.53 PM.png
    Last edited by Bcone1381; 01-18-2024, 11:27 AM.
    Brooks Cone
    Southeast Michigan
    Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Thanks Brooks. I think I answered my own question today. The clearance on the outside of the frame is not sufficient to get the fuel line between the frame and the exterior fabric at the rear. IMG_0463.jpg
      Last edited by arborite; 01-18-2024, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I may not understand the issue going outboard with the rear line. BTW, its a visual thing for me...minor cosmetic improvement...not a big deal either way.

I'm not saying...I'm asking the Q. Could you penetrate the fuselage fabric just behind the tube (that co-exists with the front of the aft window) with your fuselage fuel line? I'd want my wing (aft of the rear spar) to hide the penetration of the exterior fabric.

Maybe these Patrol photos would help visualize things.....

In the first photo I penetrate the fabric ahead of the tube. The second photo shows both fuelline and the flap pulley and cable that your LSA does not have. The last photo is an interior shot. If you took it behind the post then you would penetrate between the AN4 pulley attach bolt and my Adel Clamp bolt.

Others have way better coverage of there interior fuel line. Im not that skilled...when I tried to cover the area it looked like a 6 year old messing with Paper-Mache.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 11.18.48 AM.png Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 11.22.38 AM.png Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 11.32.04 AM.png
        Brooks Cone
        Southeast Michigan
        Patrol #303, Kit build

Comment

Working...
        X