Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spar Web width?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spar Web width?

Starting to plan spars. The plans give dimensions for spar width but then says fit to ribs. How close is everyone coming to the given dimensions? I know we had a discussion a while back about what the line on the mylar represented. I thought we decided it was the edge of the form block, Bob had taken into account rib flange thickness and skin thickness. I am starting to think that it is the actual airfoil. My ribs even with joggles are about the same height as the spar as drawn, maybe a little bigger. Aileron and flap ribs are even worse, the rib flanges would go outside spar web flanges instead of the other way around. I guess I will just have a slightly bigger airfoil.
    What do you think.

Doug
    Scratch building Patrol #254

Doug,
    After I finished all of my ribs included the joggles that I put in. There was a very slight variation between some of them. I made sure that my front and read spar was sized to fit the largest of the sizes. It worked out very well. With that size I built a quick mockup of the profile of the spar on my bench with some wood strips tacked to the top to make sure the ribs fit well. My spar dimensions were not exactly the same as Bob but my rips fir the spars nicely. Also I cut all my ribs to length before I assembled the ribs to the spar so I did have to space the rib out from the bench mockup 1/8" or 1/4" to account for that.

I did the same for the aileron and flap spars.
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Thanks John. I'm sure I am just being to picky. Good idea about the mock up on the bench. Then you can do a last minute adjust on the rib at install. I too cut the ribs to length while building them, just seemed easier.
      BTW I drove through Denver a couple weeks ago and wanted to stop and check out your project but was last minute and in a hurry.

Doug
      Scratch building Patrol #254

Comment

That's correct. Both Brooks and I both bent ours recently on EAA's 10-foot brake. Definitely used it all.
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

That made it fun. I was not able to find a brake to use by itself. I did find one that came with a trained operator. They ended up cutting all my spar blanks and bent them up for a few hundred dollars. I provided the exact dimensions based upon my ribs. I was was able to find an 8' one and was considering asking bob if there would be an approved splice in the flap spar.
          f
          John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Working...
          X