Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3/4" hole in 0.032 center ribs and false ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/4" hole in 0.032 center ribs and false ribs

There is a 3/4" hole below the large oval hole in the center and false ribs. is it better to cut out that hole when you build the ribs or after the ribs are installed to the spar?
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Cut out when you build the ribs, Along with the Cable hole above.
    Be sure to reference the rib and wing root drawings for the correct location.

Comment

FYI a step drill work great for drilling them.
      Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

I made the hole after assembly since it's location changes between the wing root and the aileron. I used a step drill bit and a 90 degree drill and drilled before the final wing skin was riveted in place. Here is the way I determined where to drill the holes in each rib location: (link removed due to URL change)
        Last edited by jaredyates; 01-13-2020, 10:21 AM.
        Eric Newton - Long Beach, MS
        Bearhawk Tailwheels and Builder's Manuals
        http://bhtailwheels.com

Comment

There seems to be a difference between Kit wings and plans build.
          By the looks of the kit built wings there is only one size oval hole (small).
          On plans build there are two.
          The big one in the .025 "ribs allows for the angle of cable to the first .032" rib guide bushing, then parallel to wing root.

Comment

Gavin; I bought a set of the avipro ribs, and you are correct. All the center ribs have the smaller size "D" hole at the back of the rib. I'm debating whether or not to cut the 0.025" ribs out to the larger hole or not.

Phil
            Phil Schaefer
            Patrol #073
            Working on Spars

Comment

Working...
            X