Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long flap torque tube from Avipro/Bearhawk Aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long flap torque tube from Avipro/Bearhawk Aircraft

For the Patrol plans builders who have purchased the wing steel parts from our factory -

Recently, one of our Patrol kit builders noticed that our factory did not weld in a tube insert into the ends of the long flap torque tubes. The purpose of this insert is to give the 3/16” bolt holes for the “flap arms” a little more meat. These inserts were not used on the 4 place Bearhawk which has .049 tube in this place as opposed to the .035 wall tube used on the Patrol. This is shown on Patrol plan #9.
    While no one with a flying Patrol (including Bob Barrows with our wings) has noticed any wear or slop in the holes, we recommend putting these tube inserts into the ends of the flap torque tubes as shown on the plans. Then drill through your existing holes (if you have already drilled them).
    The plans show the end of this insert being welded to the outside edge of the flap torque tube. This can certainly be done. For those of you that do not weld or don't want to take that long tube out of your wings, there is an acceptable alternative which Bob Barrows has recommended.
    After cleaning off any oil anti corrosion material from the O.D. of the insert, also clean up with Scotch Brite the I.D. of the end of the flap torque tube. Remove any residue from the Scotch Brite. Then insert the little tube with JB Weld epoxy glue covering all the O.D. The bond using the JB Weld with all the surface area of the tube will result in a reinforcement that will accomplish what Bob Barrows intended.

If you purchased wing steel parts that included the long flap torque tubes - get in touch with me so I can send you the little tube inserts. These parts have to be turned down on a lathe. I have already sent them out to all the Patrol QB wing owners, and have plenty left for the plans customers who bought those parts from us. Thanks
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Hi Mark

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was wondering if this applies to my aircraft as well. As you recall, it was a complete quick build kit. It was delivered I think in 2012 to Steve Busby.

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks very much

Brian Cross

Comment

• Mark Goldberg
      Mark Goldberg commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it does apply to your plane Brian. This is not an emergency type thing. Bob, with a lot of hours and hard use on his Patrol, has noticed zero wear or play in these holes that will be reinforced, I mailed your reinforcement little tubes to you a couple days ago. Put them in when you can. Mark
Working...
X