Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deburring spar attach fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deburring spar attach fittings

I feel silly posting this, but it might be worth the time: Do you guys have any tricks up your sleeve for deburring and polishing the inside curves of the various spar attach fittings? Particularly on the rear spar outer attach plate. I get great results if I smooth it all down by hand but I'm too embarrassed to report how long that takes.
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Can you chuck up a relatively small radius scotch brite wheel or sanding drum in the drill press? That would free both hands. I've used tools similar to these for inside radii. The one that I used came from the local big box home store, so they should be easy to find.

Comment

I've pictured a small scotch brite wheel in my head for some time but hard to find them at the consumer level (i.e. if I don't want a whole case!). Nice to know those drums are more common, thanks for linking that.
      Mark
      Hood River, OR

Comment

Originally posted by Chewie View Post
        I've pictured a small scotch brite wheel in my head for some time but hard to find them at the consumer level (i.e. if I don't want a whole case!). Nice to know those drums are more common, thanks for linking that.
        Mark,
        I used the 1" scotch brite wheel from Cleaveland. I would chuck it up in the drill press or clamp the piece to the bench and put it in the die grinder. They work great. Get a couple though.

John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Ordered! Thanks John. But they better get here fast or I'll be done. I was going to put away the sand paper and wait, but the results are so nice it's addictive.
          Mark
          Hood River, OR

Comment

I see the topic on different sites, and everyone mounts the various scotch brute wheels in a drill press or other stationary tool. I don't understand doing that, when a hand held die grinder is affordable, very easy to use and so versatile in deburring parts. I use mostly 1 inch or 2 inch scotch brute wheels, as well as various sandpaper type wheels to deburring parts very quickly, steel or aluminium, as well as surface finish of stainless. I buy the chucking head and inserts on eBay, keeping an eye out for the occasional bargain. I use so many that I buy them by the case. Just so much quicker and easier to use than when chucked into a stationary tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X