Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Patrol horizontal stabalizer incidence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patrol horizontal stabalizer incidence

Horizontal stab angle
    To get my Patrols horizontal stabilizer leading edge up to -1 degree of incidence, I had to remove the two ¾” spacer tubing completely. I have triple checked all measurements and made certain the longerons at B-D were level at 0 degrees. Usually when I have something this far of the plans I have done something wrong but I can not see where. Has anyone else had this situation occure on their Patrol?
    Patrol (modified)

Ed, when I mounted mine initially I couldn't get the 3/4" either. I fitted and leveled mine just before Xmas. I have 1/8" on one side and 3/16" on the other to level the cross piece at -1*. Just for rough reference, I have 3 1/8" from the top of the cross tube to the top of the upper longeron, and 3 3/16" on the other side.
    Steve P203

Comment

• Ed Welfred
      Ed Welfred commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve, I have tacked everything in place and put off welding for a few days to see if anyone has a concern.

Yea it sure got my attention when I first did a mock up last spring. Not sayin it's right but my stab is within 0.1 degree at one degree negative in relation to the leveled fuse floor. Tail post is vertically centred.

Comment

I'm not sure if it applies to the patrol or not... But on the 4-place it was initially designed to have -4 degrees of incidence and uses a .5" spacer to achieved that. However, with the addition of the airfoil shaped ribs that were put on the stabilizer, only -3 degree of incidence is needed. By removing the spacer and adding a thin washer it was exactly -3 degree on my 4-place.

I'm sure someone with Patrol specific knowledge will clear this up, but maybe this will give you peace of mind until then.
      Last edited by swpilot3; 01-10-2017, 01:23 AM. Reason: Correcting incidence measurements.
      Bobby Stokes
      4-Place Kit Builder
      Queen Creek, AZ
      http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

I thought on the 4 place you went -4 by plan and -3 with the airfoil shaped ribs?

Comment

You're exactly correct, mswain. I was recalling the numbers from memory and had assumed the incidence was the same...

Sorry to muddy the waters here. I'll correct my post so the numbers are accurate.
          Bobby Stokes
          4-Place Kit Builder
          Queen Creek, AZ
          http://azbearhawk.com

Comment

I couldn't remember either....that's why I was asking. I don't know if it was Pat Fagan, Battson or someone else who had flight tested at -2 and felt it was not enough.....and settled on -3 (for the profiled ribs)

Comment

Working...
            X