Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting ready to build the Spar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready to build the Spar

I finally found some place to bend my spars. I look around for a 10' break but could not find one. I then started looking for someone that could bend it for me. I found a sheet metal place near buy that than was able to bend and shear them for me to my exact specifications (including bend radius). They had a bunch for CNC shears and breaks. They also do not mind small jobs. They are setup for large and small. Everything is charged by actual shop time down to the 0.1 of an hour. Their shop rate is $80 an hour and they expect it will take less than 2 hours for all the spars (Main, rear, false, aileron and flap). They should be ready on tuesday.

Now it was time to build the assembly table. Out here in Colorado our low humidity likes to make the wet dimensional lumber from the Pacific North West and Canada warp like a pretzel. I was worried that if I built the standard EAA table, they would warp after a few weeks. I decided to bring back my woodworking side and build a table similar to what I use for woodworking. It is called a torsion box. Really it is a similar idea to building an airplane. The torsion box ends up making a very strong and flat box that I can use as a table top. I made 2 tables 2' x 8' x36-1/4" high. I made the tables out of 1/2" MDF. It took 2 sheets to make each table and 1/2 sheet of plywood for the legs.

I started out by cutting a bunch of 4" strips to MDF making sure they were very straight. I then created square matrix that had about 6x8" squares. I glued and pin nailed these together. I clamped them up and then attached the 1/2" skins to the top and bottom with glue and brads. The important part is to build these one a very flat table because they will only be as flat as the table you build them on. Here are a few photos.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Nice work! Your torsion box will work great.

Sounds like a great deal on the spar bending!
    Dan - Scratch building Patrol # 243.

Comment

Looks very nice John!

On the note of the table, I was just looking at Bob's mention in his Patrol book. He calls out a 4' x 18" long table. I assume he meant 18', not inches. Also, it's only 26 inches high. This seems low to me but with a fuselage sitting on top, maybe it's a good idea. Anyone here use a table per that sketch?
      Mark
      Scratch building Patrol #275
      Hood River, OR

Comment

• marcusofcotton
        marcusofcotton commented
        Editing a comment
        I made three 4'x6' tables with a shelf underneath each and they tie together or not as necessary with long 2x4s under the top. Used some very nice 3/4" plywood for the tops but sure like John's box construction idea. Lag screws at the each leg for fine tuning leveling. I'm enjoying this method so far, including wing frame assembly. May need to cut off the legs when starting on the fuselage and make them extendable for future use.

Mark J

Looks great John. I will have to give it a try. Did you use standard carpenters glue? I am thinking my glue would set before I had everything in place.

Ed
      Patrol # 238
      Patrol (modified)

Comment

Yes. it is just standard yellow wood glue from Home Depot. you do have to move quickly.
        Originally posted by Ed Welfred View Post
        Looks great John. I will have to give it a try. Did you use standard carpenters glue? I am thinking my glue would set before I had everything in place. Ed Patrol # 238
        John Snapp (Started build in Denver, CO) Now KAWO -Arlington Washington Bearhawk Patrol - Plans #255 Scratch built wing and Quickbuild Fuselage as of 11/2021. Working on skinning the left wing! -Ribs : DONE -Spars: DONE, Left wing assembly's: DONE., Top skins : DONE YouTube Videos on my building of patrol :https://m.youtube.com/user/n3uw

Comment

Working...
        X