Bearhawk Aircraft Bearhawk Tailwheels LLC Eric Newton's Builder Manuals Bearhawk Plans Bearhawk Store

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flash Arrestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Arrestors

Assembling my welding gear. I have a Smith AW1A torch handle and the light weight Tinman hoses. I don't want the flash arrestors on the torch handle because of the additional weight, that's why I bought the light hoses. The arrestors can be mounted on the regulators but leaves the light weight hose and the 25' standard red/green welding hose it's attached to exposed to flashback damage. Can the arrestors go between the light hose and the standard hose? Not sure it's even possible. Smith sells two types of arrestors, torch mount and regulator mount. I've researched this and can't seen to get a difinative recommendation.
    Thanks
    Gerry
    Patrol #30

I put my flash arrestors right at the regulators. I use the same torch and lightweight hose as you. I think I got the arrestors on Tinnman's website.

Sounds like you have a 25' hose in series with your lightweight hose, why's that?
    Mark
    Scratch building Patrol #275
    Hood River, OR

Comment

Hi Mark, my lighteeight hose (Miller/Smith 14779-4-10) is only 10' long. I want more hose length. 25' was the shortest off the shelf standard hose I could find.
      Cheers
      Gerry
      Patrol #30

Comment

I put mine in the middle with appropriate adapters.
        Christopher Owens
        Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
        Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
        Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

Hi Chris, I worry that putting them in the middle would mean that they would be dragged around the floor, get walked on, banged against stuff erc. Has that been your experience?
          Gerry
          Patrol #30

Comment

• rodsmith
            rodsmith commented
            Editing a comment
            How about using a short section of pipe insulation taped around them

Originally posted by geraldmorrissey View Post
          Hi Chris, I worry that putting them in the middle would mean that they would be dragged around the floor, get walked on, banged against stuff erc. Has that been your experience?
          Gerry
          Patrol #30
          The ones I had are super durable. It's not something I was too worried about. They're big hunk's o' cylinderical metal.

Christopher Owens
          Bearhawk 4-Place Scratch Built, Plans 991
          Bearhawk Patrol Scratch Built, Plans P313
          Germantown, Wisconsin, USA

Comment

I placed QD flash arrestors at the connection of the lightweight hose. They drag on floor but it doesn’t cause any problems.
            Bearhawk 4 Place Model B
            Plans #1552
            EAA Chapter 59

Comment

Working...
            X